A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

pman142

Clarification

by: pman142 on

Hi guys,

I am epileptic, and have been diagnosed over 2 years ago. I lost my license in April of 2009, and got it back after a long ordeal of EEG testings. My epilepsy is controlled by medication. Anyways more to the point, I recently had a seizure because i missed 3 consecutive doses of my medication, and someone saw it, called 911, and i woke up in an ambulance. It was stupid of me to not take them, I ran out over the weekend. I have gotten away with it before, but I usually make a point of taking my meds as prescribed.

By law the doctor has to report this incident to the MTO, and they are either going to request more information or suspend it. Now until I receive that notice of suspension in the mail i am free to drive as i please. My question is would there be any insurance issues if i were to get into an accident? The doctor in London who reported this has never seen me before and bylaw has to advise me not to drive, however my neurologist who i saw promptly after agrees with me that as long as I keep up with my meds, I am no threat be hid the wheel. However he doubts that sending a letter in to the MTO this early will veto their decision to suspend my license.

So again my question is whether or not I'm risking my insurance coverage, driving after i have been advised that my license may be suspended under section 47.1 of the highway traffic act.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

You'd have to read your policy and see if it excludes coverage for accidents arising out of pre existing medical conditions or anything like that. I think what you should be more concerned about it how this would affect a finding of civil negligence if you were to get into a crash because you missed another dose and got sued.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
pman142

by: pman142 on

I'm not worried about having a seizure behind the wheel. My neurologist and I both agree that if i keep up with my meds I will be fine. He just can't go against what the emergency doctor already sent to the MTO. I mean if i just get into an accident in general would I be covered? I will have to read up on my policy

Post a Reply