Failing to report a collision to a police officer - Highway Traffic Act
RL-15

I Hit A Parked Car While Backing Out Of My Driveway

by: RL-15 on

Hi, I was backing out of my driveway last monday, it was dark and raining. I didn't notice the parked car and I backed out an hit the car.

Nothing like this ever happened to me before so i panicked and froze in my car, i didn't know what to do next. in my confusion, i just drove away... i then called my bf and told him what happned and if someone from our neighbour knocked and asked i told him to give them our information and such.

I didnt get/hear anything til today.

A police detective called my house and said to call him back, which i did. He said that there was a witness who reported what happened. I told the officer what happend as i stated above. he said i have to come down to the station so he can see my damage and file a report.

I dont know what the next step is now...im scared and im not sure how much the fine will be and if my insurance will go up. i am willing to pay the damages, i didnt mean to run off...please help./.

RL-15

by: RL-15 on

RL-15 wrote:Hi, I was backing out of my driveway last monday, it was dark and raining. I didn't notice the parked car and I backed out an hit the car.

Nothing like this ever happened to me before so i panicked and froze in my car, i didn't know what to do next. in my confusion, i just drove away... i then called my bf and told him what happned and if someone from our neighbour knocked and asked i told him to give them our information and such.

I didnt get/hear anything til today.

A police detective called my house and said to call him back, which i did. He said that there was a witness who reported what happened. I told the officer what happend as i stated above. he said i have to come down to the station so he can see my damage and file a report.

I dont know what the next step is now...im scared and im not sure how much the fine will be and if my insurance will go up. i am willing to pay the damages, i didnt mean to run off...please help./.

PLS SOMEBODY HELP ME ON THIS... THANKS!

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

There's not really much advice that can be given at this time since you haven't actually been charged with anything. Obviously leaving the scene was a pretty stupid thing to do and you may be facing some serious charges. If the accident was very minor, you wouldn't have even needed to report the matter to the police. You would have had to simply exchange your information with the owner of the other vehicle.

Possible charges you could now be facing include failing to report an accident, failing to remain at the scene of an accident and careless driving for the collision itself. Obviously speak with the investigating officer and bring all relevant information such as your licence, proof of ownership and insurance. If you are charged with something, let us know with what, and we can give you charge specific advice.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

As Stanton points out, we don't know what your charged with, therefore, its almost impossible to suggest any opinion and advice.

If you think its something you can't handle then I would suggest contacting a Paralegal about it.

If your still confused please dont hesitate to ask here!

Post a Reply