PS_

Parking Lot Accident- No Information Exchange

by: PS_ on

Hi all,

Would appreciate some input on this as I don't know what to do.

I got into a parking lot accident yesterday, waiting to exit out of the parking lot. The exit was a curve so while I accelerated I scraped the left side of the bumper of the car in front of me. The guy got out, asked if I was ok. We checked the damage to both cars- some damage on his bumper and some damage to the right side of my car near the headlight. I asked him what he wanted to do- and he said it was ok, his car was a service vehicle and had been scratched up already and he was willing to let it go. I was shocked. I kept asking him repeatedly if he was ok with it - and he said he was ok, told me to drive safe next time and got into his car. From there, I headed into mine. He left too fast for me to even catch his license plate.

My question is, no insurance information was exchanged, he didn't seem worried about his car, I'm probably going to pay for any damages to mine out-of-pocket (doesn't look that bad). No police. Should I still report the accident to my insurance, even if the likelihood is neither parties will make claims? Will it affect my insurance? Would telling them the situation honestly make them up my premiums? I was involved in a minor accident (2 demerits) last year so it worries me a bit to tell insurance but, at the same time, I have a conscience and don't want this to come back and bite me in the arse.

Thanks and yes, I've learned my lesson.

Post a Reply