Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

careless driving passing 3 cars on snowy road
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm 

on my way home it was snowing lightly the road had been sanded and plowed . i came upon 3 cars travelling about 60 km long straight passed and pulled back in when i saw the police car with his lights on i pulled to the right where i could get off the road the officer came up and asked if my truck was better than everyone else on the road that it was very slippery i have brand new winter/ice tires and it is a 4wd he said i was doing over 100km which i was not there was no accident i have drive litterally millons of km both private and commercial i did not feel like i was in any way out of control so i think i should fight this one

Re: careless driving passing 3 cars on snowy road
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm 

Well, you've asked a general question, to which the general answer would be "Yes, fight it. And consider hiring a paralegal since careless is a serious charge".

Can you provide some more information? Such as:

- Time of day
- Type of road, speed limit on said road

+ anything else you can think of that would explain your situation better.

And maybe you should repost it in point form, your run on sentence is hard to read. FYI, having snow tires doesn't mean you can drive normally in bad weather conditions, 4wd doesn't make you better in the snow. Everyone I know always jokes about seeing 4wd trucks off in the ditch. Once you loose control with 4wd, good luck getting it back in control, and good luck stopping suddenly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 am 

well to start off it was at 400pm
I was headed southbound on hyw 62 south of bancroft 2 lane highway posted at 80 kmh I pulled out to pass and got to 85 kmh completed pass pulled back in and slowed to 70 kmh The road was lightly snow covered after being plowed and salted
It was snowing very lightly at the time
Looking back i would say it was bad judgement to pass all three cars at once

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:17 pm 

Yea, sometimes it's just not worth it (and next time consider checking your rear-view mirror first ;)) . Did the officer say if he clocked you with radar?

I'd suggest you pick option 3 (trial option) and request disclosure, to see what evidence the officer has. You might be able to get it dropped to a lesser charge. A paralegal would be able to give you a better idea, most of them do free consultations, in person or over the phone. I seriously suggest you talk to one, as a careless driving charge can seriously fubar your insurance rates and driving record (speaking from experience here). I've only dealt with the Toronto courts for my tickets, so I can't really say what might happen in the region you got charged in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm 

Yep I'd hire a paralegal. Some insurance companies will cancel your policy if you get a Careless Driving conviction.