Careless Driving - No Light, Skidded Right Turn, No Accident

bestbacon

Careless Driving - No Light, Skidded Right Turn, No Accident

Unread post by bestbacon »

Hi everyone,

Today, While i was driving along a street which required me to make a right turn (without a street light) I advanced to cut in front of another person to make the right turn because it merges into one lane. Because of my increased speed upon cutting into lane, i was forced to take a right turn at a speed which would make my tires skid. During the ordeal when i was making this right turn, understeer was imminent and my car wobbled a bit. a cop moving in the opposite direction must have heard the squeal from my tires, spotted me, and decided to make a U-turn to give me with this ticket of careless driving with a $490 set fine and 6 demerit points. He certainly had no radar on him as he was in the opposite lane driving as well. He claims that i could have hit him, when in my opinion was nowhere near doing, and proceeds to tell me how Ontario distributes salt to increase traction. I have had 2 tickets in the past before but none for speeding, including a failure to proceed (0 points) and a ticket that is to be held trial for obstructing traffic by stopping illegally which is accredited to a maximum of 2 demerit points.

I have mistakenly told him i was cutting into the lane and going faster than speed limit and that i "believed" that i was in full control in which he asked me "believed?" and i corrected my sentence saying that "i was in full control of the car" Is there anything in my defense that could help me fight this ticket?

Edit: Forgot to add in the fact that this was a 20km/h zone. i was going 40 km/h which resulted in tire squeal (due to low tread width in an 2002 corolla)

Thanks,

BB

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

double the posted limit used to be automatic loss of license.You need help with your driving skills, as well as in court.

That one will cost you. and possibly make you a better driver.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
manwithaplan

Unread post by manwithaplan »

What does speed have to do with the ticket itself? Careless Driving doesn't have to do with speed specifically, although in many cases speed is a factor in the event that causes a CD ticket to be issued.

You might be able to get it pled down to a lesser charge, or you might not, nobody can say for certain. Your best bet would be to contact a paralegal/lawyer to help you out.

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

A 20 kph zone must have some reason for so slow.

I believe double the limit is automatic careless.(OP said 40 kph)

That is what speed has to do with it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

Unread post by Radar Identified »

viper1 wrote:I believe double the limit is automatic careless.

No, it isn't.

bestbacon wrote:Because of my increased speed upon cutting into lane, i was forced to take a right turn at a speed which would make my tires skid. During the ordeal when i was making this right turn, understeer was imminent and my car wobbled a bit.

That would've been the reason for the Careless Driving.

I'd probably try to plea-bargain this one down to something an unsafe turn or unsafe lane change. Hopefully the Prosecutor is agreeable.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

bestbacon wrote:Today, While i was driving along a street which required me to make a right turn (without a street light) I advanced to cut in front of another person to make the right turn because it merges into one lane.

as per you post above = lane cutting

You know of a right turn ahead....why not wait 3-10 seconds and go in behind the person that is already in that lane

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca