Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Careless Driving after accident
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am
Posts: 17
Hi,

I just had an accident and was charged with careless driving. I am a new driver and only got my G2 license about a month ago.

A guy parked at the side of the road opened his door wide in front of my car a split second before I hit it. The door came off his car onto my bonnet and I was blinded and got a shock from impact, my windscreen also got cracked. With the shock if impact, my hand turned the steering wheel and the car hit the two cars parked in front of the car that opened the door.

The person who opened the door has minor cuts and did not need medical assistance.

Cops came and were very nice at first and asked me what happened. One asked if he opened the door why did you hit other cars and I explained that I moved the wheel from the shock and couldn't see.

He then told me I should have avoided the door and should not have turned into other cars and gave a careless driving ticket.

Which option should I chose and do I stand a chance or getting this removed? My friend got careless driving for rear ending a car and successfully got it reduced to following to closely I think. Will this really double my rates? I have pictures of the incident and damaged door. The door sort of came up vertically like some sports car Ferrari's open, when I hit it.

What should I have done in this situation?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
Just so you are aware, your license will be suspended for 30 days if you are convicted. As a G2 driver, you are subject you Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions. If you are convicted of 4 or more points on a single charge, you will automatically be suspended.

If you got pictures of the scene, post them (no need for closeup damage pictures). The fact you got a careless driving charge and the car you hit having vertical doors has me intrigued.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am
Posts: 17
bend wrote:
Just so you are aware, your license will be suspended for 30 days if you are convicted. As a G2 driver, you are subject you Novice Driver Escalating Sanctions. If you are convicted of 4 or more points on a single charge, you will automatically be suspended.

If you got pictures of the scene, post them (no need for closeup damage pictures). The fact you got a careless driving charge and the car you hit having vertical doors has me intrigued.


Not vertical doors. The door opened as any door would. On impact it came of and flew on my bonnet. I'm not really willing to post pictures and I just have closeup damage pictures. The person and driver admit opening the door and they got a ticket for that as well.

I got a ticket I think because I steered towards the next 2 cars after hitting the door. But this happened as an aftershock as on impact my hand moved.

Do I have chance of fighting it? Insurance person said I should not be at fault.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:24 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am
Posts: 17
Anyone else has advice? Why did I get careless driving for this?


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline
High Authority

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 pm
Posts: 2110
Location: Ontario
I’m also surprised you were charged in the incident. The HTA requires persons opening their vehicle doors to check and see if it’s safe to do so.

Quote:
165. No person shall,
(a) open the door of a motor vehicle on a highway without first taking due precautions to ensure that his or her act will not interfere with the movement of or endanger any other person or vehicle; or
(b) leave a door of a motor vehicle on a highway open on the side of the vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than is necessary to load or unload passengers.


I think you have very good grounds to fight your charge. In my opinion the person opening their door is at fault for the initial accident, which could have plausibly caused you to lose control.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:31 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 1064
MsDeeya wrote:
Anyone else has advice? Why did I get careless driving for this?


It wasn't for hitting the door. You're not at fault when someone opens their door on you, but it sounds like it's for the accident afterwords. When in an accident, you have to maintain reasonable control of your vehicle. Some people panic when in an accident and do stuff like hit the gas instead of the brake and hit anything and everything till they come to a stop. If I had to guess, it would be that the officer thinks your reaction was unreasonable in proportion to the factors (speed limit, location of the other vehicles, the damage from the impact). Not saying this is the case, but i'm trying to imagine a scenario where the officer feels he was justified handing down the charge.

That being said, I don't know how inconsistent it would be to think that someone who has a door open on them and come up their hood may end up hitting the other vehicles in front of that car. It sounds like you have a good case unless there's something we're missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Careless Driving after accident
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am
Posts: 17
bend wrote:
MsDeeya wrote:
Anyone else has advice? Why did I get careless driving for this?


It wasn't for hitting the door. You're not at fault when someone opens their door on you, but it sounds like it's for the accident afterwords. When in an accident, you have to maintain reasonable control of your vehicle. Some people panic when in an accident and do stuff like hit the gas instead of the brake and hit anything and everything till they come to a stop. If I had to guess, it would be that the officer thinks your reaction was unreasonable in proportion to the factors (speed limit, location of the other vehicles, the damage from the impact). Not saying this is the case, but i'm trying to imagine a scenario where the officer feels he was justified handing down the charge.

That being said, I don't know how inconsistent it would be to think that someone who has a door open on them and come up their hood may end up hitting the other vehicles in front of that car. It sounds like you have a good case unless there's something we're missing.
Stanton wrote:
I’m also surprised you were charged in the incident. The HTA requires persons opening their vehicle doors to check and see if it’s safe to do so.

Quote:
165. No person shall,
(a) open the door of a motor vehicle on a highway without first taking due precautions to ensure that his or her act will not interfere with the movement of or endanger any other person or vehicle; or
(b) leave a door of a motor vehicle on a highway open on the side of the vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than is necessary to load or unload passengers.


I think you have very good grounds to fight your charge. In my opinion the person opening their door is at fault for the initial accident, which could have plausibly caused you to lose control.


Ok thanks then.The car that opened the door also got a ticket. After the jolt of the impact, my car started turning towards the other parked cars. I think my hands might have moved the steering wheel on impact with the door.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Accident Cause of Careless Driving

mnstrcck

0

984

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 pm

mnstrcck View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving after 2 accident

Emily

13

1426

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Emily View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Got into second accident and careless driving again. Help

MsDeeya

3

979

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. First Accident - Careless Driving

heath26

2

1230

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:49 pm

287 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving from Accident

jkbla

1

833

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:01 am

bend View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving - first accident

plmqaz

0

982

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 pm

plmqaz View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving, no accident, no injury, please help

raj

3

892

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 am

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving / Accident with 2 other cars.

redcaesar

2

687

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 pm

redcaesar View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. First Accident - Careless Driving Charge

1070473

3

1838

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:04 am

1070473 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving, no accident, no injury, no racing etc.

SlowGsr

2

1776

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 am

Reflections View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless Driving - accident reporting centre

DarthVader

1

1863

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Careless driving: No accident. No injury. No racing...

malibumaxx

6

1243

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Traffic Law View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
Home | Court Listings | Ontario Traffic Ticket

Copyright 2007 - 2017 © Microtekblue Inc. Web Development & Search Engine Optimization Service. We Support phpBB All Rights Reserved.