rebel

Annual Inspection Certificate

by: rebel on

My search engine cannot find a list for inspection stations in Toronto, I need to have both pick-up and trailer inspected ASAP.

My certificates expired yesterday. I drive by many garages and see the plaque Certified Inspection Station. Are all the locations capable of providing the services I require. Does MTO provide a list of Inspection Stations?

Any help would be appreciated.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

if they have that plaque they ae normally certified inspection garages. Simply ask when you pull in or give them a call.

Every brand name automotive dealer is able to certify and of course C'dn Tire.

side note, your sticker did not expire yesterday (JUL16,2011). Take a close look at the yellow sticker on the truck n trailer, if will have a year and a month "punched-out". So in your case probably has punch on 2010 and July. The expiry for that would be August 2011. There is the added "grace" period of one month on the annuals, in particular this helps trucking companies should their truck be away on a long haul/out of country, they would still be able to have a little leeway to get back and get it safetied.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

I agree that his annual inspection sticker did not expire on July 16 because it always expires at the end of the month, but I believe it is the end of the month which it is punched out for of the following year. So if the sticker was punched for July 2010, it expires the end of July 2011. I am not aware of any mention of a grace period in the HTA or applicable O/Regs and I've never known anyone to give a grace period in enforcement.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Simon Borys wrote: I am not aware of any mention of a grace period in the HTA or applicable O/Regs and I've never known anyone to give a grace period in enforcement.

The grace period is "built-into" the Act....

HTA OREG 611

sec 8 (5) An annual inspection sticker described in subsection (4) is valid until the end of the twelfth month after the month of inspection indicated on the sticker (12th month plus a month = 13mths)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

I wasn't aware of O/Reg 611 s. 8(5), but as I see it:

The month of inspection is July 2010

The 1st month after that is August

2nd = September

3rd = October

4th = November

5th = December

6th = January 2011

7th = February

8th = March

9th = April

10th = May

11th = June

12th month after the month of inspection = July 2011; then end of that month being July 30

Which means that come August 1, 2011, the sticker is expired.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

"end of the twelfth month after the month of inspection"

If the month of inspection is sometime in July 2010, the month after the month of Inspection is August 2010. Then expiring at the end of the 12th month = August 31st, 2011.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Wow, the wording is clear as mud. The way I read it, if your sticker expired in January, the next month is February. If you count February as the first month, 12 months takes you to January of the following year, so no grace period.

I tried to check online for clearer information and of course the MTO pages were of no help. Googling away however, I did however find a link to the University of Guelph vehicle fleet maintenance policy. Their policy states the inspection sticker must be obtained every 13 months. Not definitive proof, but the smarties at the University obviously agree with Hwybear. ;)

hwybear

Posting Awards

Simon Borys wrote:I see how you're reading it, I just don't think that's correct.

I did MTO inspections for 7 years, think i was trained right :wink:

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Not that this applies to the HTA, but the federal Interpretation Act says that "12th month after the date of the inspection" would mean the sticker is expired on the 31st of August. (Again, probably not applicable here... but time/validity is something I have to deal with from time to time, but my line of work falls under federal regs.)

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Lensky

by: Lensky on

I came across this thread while looking into sticker expiration for the sake of a work assessment. Even though it's very old now, this thread is a high result when googling CVOR expiration. The problem is the thread is full of misinformation.

hwybear wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 pm

"end of the twelfth month after the month of inspection"

If the month of inspection is sometime in July 2010, the month after the month of Inspection is August 2010. Then expiring at the end of the 12th month = August 31st, 2011.

HTA OREG 611:

"An annual inspection sticker described in subsection (4) is valid until the end of the twelfth month after the month of inspection indicated on the sticker"

The twelfth month after the month of inspection is the same month the following year. That is, the twelfth month after the month of inspection (July) is the same month (July) of the following year. For some reason, hwybear in the quoted text is interpreting the inspection requirement as saying, "the twelfth month after the month after the month of inspection" rather than, "the twelfth month after the month of inspection"

I'm not sure why this thread comes up highly on google, but it really shouldn't.

Post a Reply