Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
ca roule

Right Turn On Red Light, No Full-stop

by: ca roule on

I just got fined for not stopping at a traffic light controlled intersection.

Location London, ON: heading South on Richmond and turning right onto Victoria St.

I took a right turn on red, but failed to come to a complete full stop. Now I'm fined for $325 for reason - as the ticket says - 'red light - fail to stop', Highway traffic act 144 (18 ).

I'm wondering, shouldn't I be fined for not coming to a full stop and not for driving through a red light? This last (running straight through red) which I would consider way more dangerous. The road was clear for me to turn right!

Will this ticket affect my premiums and if so, by how much?

Also, how come my set fine is $260 and victim fine surcharge and costs are added to total to $325?

I'm from Europe, have over 15 years of driving experience and have never encountered such a high fine!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Red light fines went up recently to $260/325.

It sounds to me like the correct charge was laid, based on the situation you described. 144 (18) says "Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown."

The section has 2 fines. One for failing to come to a complete stop for the red and then proceeding through the intersection (which you were charged with) and the other (red light - proceed before green) for coming to a complete stop and then proceeding through anyway. The second one usually only applies to going straight through the intersection, but the first one could be applied to a turning movement since you are still required to bring your vehicle to a complete stop.

No one can say how it will affect your insurance except your insurance company.

Post a Reply