richpat

Follow Too Closely By Aircraft

by: richpat on

I was travelling on the 401 and was pulled over for speeding 138 and following too closely, both accounts were registered by aircraft.

The two questions I had were:

1. Does the aircraft/spotter have to keep an eye on the vehicle until it is pulled over by the ground officer, or do they readio the description of the car and the police officer pulls over a car resembling that description?

2. If I was clocked by the aircraft at 12:00pm and then pulled over at 12:15, what time should be written on the actual ticket?

Thanks for the help moderators and others.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

if it is like lidar intercept, the time that is used is by the officer that did the "clocking".

So essentially someone could commit an offence at 11:12am and could be pulled over at 11:43am and be issued the offence. The catch would be that the person who observed the offence has to keep sight of the target vehicle until stopped by a ground unit.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
richpat

by: richpat on

Sorry I'm not familiar with Lidar. The ground unit told me that the speed was calculated with a stopwatch between the white lines 500m apart.

Can you please clear up what time would be written on the ticket? 11:12am or 11:43am? If it's the earlier time, is there anyway to figure out when the actual officer pulled me over?

I'm 99% positive he said the plan clocked me about 20km back, and if that was true, and it took another 30 minutes to be pulled over, I can't imagine they kept an eye on the vehicle the whole time, correct?

I also don't believe they could have kept a constant view of the vehicle, because as soon as I went over a hill and the officer pulled me over, there was already 3 other cars pulled over. As such, unless they had like 3 spotters there is no way one spotter can keep an eye on all the cars and continue to time people.

Would the OPP ever use more than one plane at a time?

Therefore, if they didn't keep a constant eye on the vehicle, would both tickets be dismissed.

Thanks again HwyBear.

P.S. Is it your honour or worship?

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

richpat wrote:Sorry I'm not familiar with Lidar. The ground unit told me that the speed was calculated with a stopwatch between the white lines 500m apart.

Can you please clear up what time would be written on the ticket? 11:12am or 11:43am? If it's the earlier time, is there anyway to figure out when the actual officer pulled me over?

P.S. Is it your honour or worship?

lidar = laser

the time of offence on the ticket (ie 11:12am)

traffic court/provincial offences = your worship (JP wears green sash)

criminal court = your honour (judge wears red sash)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply