Jamie K

117 In 80 With Decent Reason

by: Jamie K on

I think that I got a ridiculously expensive and unfair speeding ticket today. I was passing someone and approaching a blind hill so I was obviously accelerating to get in front before getting to the hill. There was another car behind me following me as I passed the slow moving car. Once I got past the car I moved over and the hill started down. I was now going downhill after passing someone with someone on my ass who passed the car with me. I'm not one to slam on my breaks because of a downhill slope especially with someone right behind me. It just so had it there was a cop on the other side of the hill who hit the lights as soon as he saw me. Myself and the car behind me both pulled over but the other car was let go immediately. The officer took my license and registration without any questioning, returned to his patrol car and then back to me again with my $277 ticket for doing 117km in an 80km zone. When he gave me the ticket he mumbled something that I still have no idea what was and walked away giving me absolutely no chance to even say anything. Could I even get a word in? no... The officer obviously didnt care at all what I had to say. Does this seem fair at all? I would easily appear in court for this but I dont live in the area where it happened... Im from London and the municipality on the ticket is Kincardine. What should I do?

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Jamie K wrote:I think that I got a ridiculously expensive and unfair speeding ticket today. I was passing someone and approaching a blind hill so I was obviously accelerating to get in front before getting to the hill. There was another car behind me following me as I passed the slow moving car. Once I got past the car I moved over and the hill started down. I was now going downhill after passing someone with someone on my ass who passed the car with me. I'm not one to slam on my breaks because of a downhill slope especially with someone right behind me. It just so had it there was a cop on the other side of the hill who hit the lights as soon as he saw me. Myself and the car behind me both pulled over but the other car was let go immediately. The officer took my license and registration without any questioning, returned to his patrol car and then back to me again with my $277 ticket for doing 117km in an 80km zone. When he gave me the ticket he mumbled something that I still have no idea what was and walked away giving me absolutely no chance to even say anything. Could I even get a word in? no... The officer obviously didnt care at all what I had to say. Does this seem fair at all? I would easily appear in court for this but I dont live in the area where it happened... Im from London and the municipality on the ticket is Kincardine. What should I do?

If you wish to fight the ticket, I would recommend it, you could hire a paralegal and you won't have to travel. The form at the bottom of the page will help you find someone to fight the ticket. As far as the officers point of view, he'll say that you could have waited until you had more room, or something to that regard. Good luck.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Bookm

by: Bookm on

I think you should go to court. The danger you were in when the second car also passed (right on your butt - very dangerous) caused you to accelerate much more than you normally would have in this situation.

You did what was prudent given the circumstances. The cop saw nothing. He just saw that big number on his radar gun and pounced! They don't listen to excuses any more. He probably mumbled something about your options on the back of the ticket. The last cop I had did the same thing... as if he really didn't want me to know I could plead not-guilty.

Fight it.

Post a Reply