Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
stephen

by: stephen on

Hi, rather than start a new thread I have a question regarding Sect 139.

Many times while driving on a 4 lane road in the city & I'm in the LH lane

setting up for a turn another driver will pull out of a parking lot or driveway

into the RH lane just as I'm approaching or opposite him/her, which depending on how wide their turn is & what their speed is ranks from annoying to terrifying.....

This often happens when traffic is light enough that merely waiting a second or two will mean the other driver will have two clear lanes instead of one.

My question is....is this a failure to yield, an improper RH turn or something

else entirely?

For all the other driver knows I could be preparing to move back into the RH lane for any number of reasons, & a collision would occur.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

stephen wrote:My question is....is this a failure to yield, an improper RH turn or something

else entirely?

If I'm understanding your question correctly...

If you're in the left lane, and a driver who is pulling out from a driveway or parking lot that is to your right, and the driver turns into the right lane, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not against the law. He's got a clear lane and he isn't getting in anyone's way.

Now if he did a wide "swing-out" turn and cut partially into your lane, that would be a "turn not in safety" or "lane change not in safety." If he came from your left and turned into the right lane, across your path, and caused you to brake or take evasive action, that's also an unsafe turn, fail to yield or possibly careless driving.

hwybear can elaborate on this.

Bookm

by: Bookm on

stephen wrote:For all the other driver knows I could be preparing to move back into the RH lane for any number of reasons, & a collision would occur.

I'm sure you would have activated your turn signal well before your lane change, correct? ;)

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Turns have to be made into the closest lane.

ie: turning right (onto a road) the vehicle has to enter the closest lane.

ie: single turn lane for left turn. Road that vehicles turning left onto has 2 lanes (in the direction of the turn). The vehicles turning left must turn into the lane closest to them (nearest to the centre of the road)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply