hwybear

Posting Awards

Didn't Learn The 1st Time

by: hwybear on

TORONTO STAR

A Brampton man driving with a suspended license after a previous street-racing conviction was clocked at 190 km/h on Hwy. 407 this morning.

The 27-year-old suspect was driving east near Weston Rd. around 6:50 a.m. when police spotted the vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed, said Ontario Provincial Police Const. Dave Woodford.

The suspect was driving his sister's black Acura without insurance. He was previously convicted for street racing in March.

Police seized the car and the man has been charged with stunt driving, driving with a suspended license and driving without insurance.

He faces a maximum penalty of up to $10,000.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

by: Reflections on

Radar Identified wrote:Were his passengers wearing T-shirts that said "I'M WITH STUPID"?

They said "Officer, can you call me a cab?"

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Well it goes to show how reckless some people are and they just don't care.

IMO the fine should be more, he already had a stunt driving conviction + No insurance (sint that a maximum of 5k), + suspended license?

I thought the fine for 50 over was already a max of 2000.

What time in the morning.

Was he going 190 at 3:30 am in the morning or was he doing it at 8:30 am rush hour traffic?????

Big difference here, one is well driving very fast and deserves a ticket and the other is well down right dangerous.

From the sounds of ill guess this was early in the morning, he was driving in a straight line in the left lane just going to fast and being unlucky to get caught.

Ill understand the public outcry if this guy was weaving in and out of traffic at 190.

But who and what danger was he causing early in the morning driving in a straight line at 190 km/hr???

Reflections

I thought the fine for 50 over was already a max of 2000.

Minimum!! Max of $10K and this guy deserves it. The law was created for dumb-dumb's like this and here it does apply. However, nobody is going to stop him from doing this again, law or no law.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Reflections wrote: However, nobody is going to stop him from doing this again, law or no law.

Could always get jail time for driving under suspension. Last person I saw got 45days, served on weekends.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Reflections

hwybear wrote:
Reflections wrote: However, nobody is going to stop him from doing this again, law or no law.

Could always get jail time for driving under suspension. Last person I saw got 45days, served on weekends.

And throughout the week he was......doing........?

Tell you what how's about putting biometric scanners in cars, fingerprints work just fine. We got them on all the servers here at work. We can then enable/disable the ignition, preset speed limiters for the kids etc. Cellular technology should be capable of doing this.......wait, it would require a government data base and that would only get F&&$ed up anyway.....carry on.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

Didn't the article mention that he was charged with driving without insurance? I thought that carried a minimum $10K fine all on its own, with the JP having the discretion to drop it a bit if your sob story is good enough.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Squishy wrote:Didn't the article mention that he was charged with driving without insurance? I thought that carried a minimum $10K fine all on its own, with the JP having the discretion to drop it a bit if your sob story is good enough.

It did. First offence for drive without insurance is minimum $5000, max $20 000, but you're right with the JP having discretion to lower it. I've seen some pay as little as $50 :shock: That was under very extenuating circumstances, namely: Defendant had been evicted from his apartment on the day of the ticket, could not afford insurance due to losing his job and "did not know" insurance had lapsed, had sold his car and was no longer driving.

Reflections wrote:Tell you what how's about putting biometric scanners in cars, fingerprints work just fine.

Would also prevent auto theft or unauthorized driving... yep, gov't would screw it up. Never mind.

hwybear wrote:Could always get jail time for driving under suspension.

Maybe some time in Maplehurst would wake the guy up.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

Radar Identified wrote:
Reflections wrote:Tell you what how's about putting biometric scanners in cars, fingerprints work just fine.

Would also prevent auto theft or unauthorized driving... yep, gov't would screw it up. Never mind.

Don't you watch CSI? You can steal someone's fingerprint with strawberry Jello. :lol:

Bookm

by: Bookm on

I know you'll all be quite surprised, but I've ALSO been charged with no insurance once before. I was having a buddy tow me with a new toy ('65 Comet). But the rope kept breaking and it was starting to get dark. So I decided to just drive the dang thing the remaining few blocks. Just my luck the po-po would come along just then! :shock:

The minimum fine at the time was $500, but when I plead my case for sentencing, I explained that safety was my main priority at the time, and the JP lowered my fine to $250.

I had always thought "minimum fine" meant "minimum fine"! But apparently the JP DOES have discretion.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

I'd rather not surrender my biometric information to anyone, which includes the government and private corporations. That's one of the reasons I never picked up a Nexus card.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
Post a Reply