A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

tdrive2

by: tdrive2 on

Squishy wrote:The guys with unmarked cruisers should try 100 km/h in the right lane. I see so much more *EDIT* now than I did when I was the one doing 160 km/h in the left lane (yes, I used to be one of you :o :lol: ).

Squishy not to be a smart ass but that is a big change.

From going 160 and now you say you are the one who goes 100 in the right lane. Just curious what made you have this change of mind?

Did something bad happen and risk your life, insurance, tickets, lose license, need a good record?

Thats a huge difference from being one who goes 160 in left lane to 100 in the right!. Not to be a smart ass but i wonder what decided to make you have such a huge change of heart.

Squishy

by: Squishy on

I changed my view of society. Instead of seeing it as "The Government" out to screw me over, the more I got into engineering, the more I saw it as a system of parts working together. Each person had a function in this system and rules were necessary for everything to work together without conflict. The more I thought about it, the more I understood the purpose and the goal of each facet of society and government, regardless of how it has evolved now to maybe be redundant, corrupted, or just useless.

Also, gas prices.

tdrive2

Squishy i am going to have to agree with you on that.

As far as gas prices go even if the highways didn't have a limit like the autobahn system there is no way i would max it out all the time.

The gas begins to cost way to much at speeds like that. Even if we had no speed limits many would not "max out" due to gas prices and costs.

FiReSTaRT

by: FiReSTaRT on

Same with me. I don't see myself cagin' it more than 130-140km/h on the 400 series highways. Too much fuel. Even on 2 wheels, just going in a straight line isn't much fun. The twisties are where the fun's at :twisted:

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
tdrive2

Ya i see the flow of traffic get to that speed all the time between 130-140 depending on hwy and other conditions.

Most people wont cruise at over 150 just cause the added stress on the engine, way more fuel, and the tow truck.

Even in a 4 cylinder car the same i have never driven an 8 and rarely a 6.

But with a 4 cylinder your engine will rev in the low 3000's rpm range from about 118-140.

You can average low rpm in this speed even with a 4 cylinder 2L like around 3150-3250 rpm for 130-140. Anything over 150 the engine uses way to much fuel. Besides the fact alot of cars come with the basic cheap all season R rated tires which are only safe up till 170.

I have no idea about a 6 cylinder or a 8 cylinder i have never really driven them on a 400 series alot.

But i'll have to agree with squishy and FireStart cruising at speeds like that over 140 uses to much fuel and is no longer cost effective.

Fire Start i always wondered what kinda bike you get. Like what kind of gas mileage can you get on the highway with a 500-750 CC bike???

I am curious about at what speeds a V6 sedan will rev at on the highway?

hey bear what do those V8 crown vics rev at depending on the speeds?

You guys got a 4.6L V8 with 248 horses? I remember reading about the vics. The top end power was not as good as the chargers or impala's even but the torque is incredible on them. I actually know an officer with a force that uses peel. He is a bigger guy he tells me the vics are still the best. The chargers spend to much time in shop, brakes go, transmission problems.

I heard bigger guys cant fit into them with all the gear or its to tight while the crown vics can accomodate a ton of room almost an office on wheels. :lol: How are those crown vics in the snow? Good choice for a highway vehicle though also the safest for rear end crashes.

Sorry off topic but did the OPP ever look into buying other vehicles? I am guessing the chargers are not what they want especially since you guys spend so much time on the highway a FWD would = more wear on brakes.

I remember you told me they are looking at the Tahoe but surely the OPP wouldn't replace all their cars with those big bulky SUV's. Is the VIC still gone be phased out in 2011.

IMO the black and white marked OPP cruisers with the light bars and the best looking police cars i have ever seen!! Sorry a bit off topic is there a reason LEO's in ontario whether under cover or not always have those black steel Rims?

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Radar Identified wrote:
tdrive2 wrote:I.E. AIG made some bad investments and needs a bail-out.

AIG did more than that. They were underwriting a lot of the subprime mortgages and other high-risk things that the Wall Street "experts" were hyping as good ways to make money. They weren't strictly an insurance company, in that they had several divisions in addition to their insurance business, almost all of which made asinine decisions that garden tools would recognize as stupid. They got heavily into the derivative markets which also killed them, but that was separate from the toxic loans that they underwrote. On top of that, they were very poorly managed (e.g. $400 000 off-site meeting at a golf resort after receiving their first taxpayer bailout) and, like a lot of other American companies, richly rewarded executives and staff for failing at an F- level, a good example of that being Lehman Brothers' CEO Richard Fuld. The entire company is one gigantic Gong Show.

Remember SkyDome? Built for $570 million, bailed out by the NDP government and eventually purchased by Rogers for $21 million. I've never seen a gong there! Maybe it's at Queen's Park.

Fight Your Ticket!
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

tdrive2 wrote:Squishy i am going to have to agree with you on that.

As far as gas prices go even if the highways didn't have a limit like the autobahn system there is no way i would max it out all the time.

The gas begins to cost way to much at speeds like that. Even if we had no speed limits many would not "max out" due to gas prices and costs.

I remember the first time I drove on the autobahn, passing everybody and wondering why people didn't drive faster. Then I filled my first tank of gas at European prices. Yikes!

I also remember my first V8, a '73 Impala. As the speedometer went up, the gas gage went down. You could literally see them move in opposite directions.

I also remember my friend's dad had a 440 six pack Barracuda. We couldn't wait to turn 16 and borrow it. That never happened. His dad knew better and we're still alive.

Fight Your Ticket!
FiReSTaRT

Tdrive - I have a 91 Yamaha FZR600. It's an older carburated bike, actually the first supersport. She's runnin' a little rich and has like 100lbs on its modern counterparts, but still gets me about 5l/100km on average.. That includes a good spread of city riding, highway riding and goin' a little crazy in the twisties. It really depends on your riding style and even riding position. I notice that my mileage gets better in colder weather when I tuck in behind the windscreen. The only problem with that is that a cop may automatically think that I'm goin' crazy so I try to put up with as much cold/bad fuel economy as possible, but if the thermometer dips below 5 degrees, I'll risk getting singled out lol On one occasion the tuck is what allowed me to make a trip to Algonquin, a few crossings of Algonquin and back in 2 degree weather.

Bear, try to spread the word among your colleagues that a tuck in cold weather may just mean that the rider is freezing his you-know-what off :shock:

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
FiReSTaRT

On another note.. When I was barely 20, I had an HO-converted 302 Cougar. Took that thing up to Sudbury and back at speeds averaging 150-160 and was getting like 12l/100km which is about 2l more than most gasoline fourbangers that I've driven at about 120-130. Ofcourse, in the city the only thing that came close to matching its 20l/100km consumption (and that was SUBURBAN driving :shock:) was how much oil it pissed out. Needless to say, I got a Jetta with stick shift and 1/3 of the displacement within 6 months lol

Post a Reply