Is The U-turn Legit? For Some Reason I Get Honked At Here Trying To Perform This U-turn In Kitchener.

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

denish

Posting Awards

Is The U-turn Legit? For Some Reason I Get Honked At Here Trying To Perform This U-turn In Kitchener.

Unread post by denish »

I want to make a U-Turn here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.444155,- ... 6656?hl=en

My understanding of the law is that I can make a U-Turn if:

- The is no no-U-Turn sign

- There is nothing blocking or obstructing the visibility or a hill

But often when I make a U-Turn here people behind me start honking. There is a median here and I just wish to do a U-Turn around the median. My belief as to why they honk is due to the 'Keep to the right of the traffic island' Sign. They may think that that means I must go straight and that a U-Turn would be forbidden. The only other possibility is I read that to do a U-Turn, you must pull off to the right and then do the U-Turn when it is clear to do so. This street is a single lane with no shoulder to pull off onto. So in doing a U-Turn, I am holding up traffic, until I can perform the turn.

Please help - according to the Ontario Traffic Act - is doing a U-Turn here legitimate?

Zatota

Posting Awards

Unread post by Zatota »

Here's what the Highway Traffic Act states:

U-turns prohibited

143 No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143.

It looks like you meet the 150-metre requirement. It's quite possible that the people behind you just don't want to have to wait for you to complete you U-turn.

pirish

Posting Awards

Unread post by pirish »

I live in Kitchener also.... just ignore them since the light rail installation and roundabouts people are idiots and not observant. right turns on reds when the signs posted not to, no left turns, u-turns allowed, no u-turns allowed..

My advice focus on your driving habbits, be aware of whats around and obey sighs. if some douche wants to honk at you let him. Driving is a privilage, you don't drive to accomodate them. besides I love it when they get pulled over and ticketed for excessive noise.

bobajob

Posting Awards

Unread post by bobajob »

Just my IMHO, I hate people who do u turns at intersections, when you have on coming traffic in 2 different directions especially, You have to clear on coming and often traffic merging from the left. Turning right is a pain and you don't get along time. Turning right SHOULD be for turning right, not because you forgot you forgot your turn 2 intersections back.

I try not to inconvenience other traffic, and would turn right into the junction, then you can usually come back onto that road.

Especially if I miss my turn. Sometimes your GPS also says (which you should note) "Make a legal U-turn when it is safe to do so"

If the road is quiet and there is only ONCOMING then I'll do it. I honk sometimes if the person looks gormless sitting at the wheel waiting for 5 minutes for EVERY SINGLE piece of traffic to go buy.

But again that;s me, if I mess up I don't inconvenience other road users for my lack of observational skill's or I was playing with something in the car and not paying attention.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

Unread post by bobajob »

Another thing which grinds my gears, is people who are in a Left turn lane and realize, it's the wrong one and then try and pull into the right lane, especially if it's 3 lanes of fast moving traffic. ONCE again, turn left and navigate around, you didn't pay attenuation, don't cause an accident because you can't drive

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail