Dr. M.v. Fail To Display Two Plates Hta 7(1)(b)

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: hwybear, Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, Decatur, bend

kayjay

Dr. M.v. Fail To Display Two Plates Hta 7(1)(b)

Unread post by kayjay »

I had two plates displayed on my vehicle, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle.

I don’t believe that I had violated the HTA.

The officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket for failing to display two plates, stated section 7 (1) (b).

He advised me that the front plate should be attached to the front bumper of the vehicle, and NOT to the front windshield.

I looked everywhere and I can’t find where in the HTA states that the license plate has to be attached to the front bumper! If you know where I can find that please inform me of the exact section, and sub-section, and the URL to it please.

Please don’t tell me that the front of the vehicle means ONLY the bumper, the windshield could also be considered the front!

If it does NOT state that it has to be on the “bumper” then technically it doesn’t have to be.

Thanks so much.

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

Unread post by whaddyaknow »

kayjay wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:24 am

Please don’t tell me that the front of the vehicle means ONLY the bumper, the windshield could also be considered the front!

OK, I won't tell you.

But I will tell you that your argument won't float in court.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

It wont state bumper. It'll say front and rear. The front or rear may not be the bumper depending on obstructions (guards, racks, spare tires), it might be your tailgate, or even the portion of a trunk that extends to the rear. That is why it doesn't say bumper.

REGULATION 628

9. (3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

It also says it must be in a conspicuous position. If it's sitting on your dash angled, it probably wouldn't be considered a conspicuous position. Your plate is immediately visible to almost no one driving unless they went out of their way to view it or they just happen to be sitting in a vehicle higher than yours.

Also, plates can't be obstructed. If your plate is sitting on your dash, it's obstructed by the glass.