mattcole

Stunt Driving 183 In 70 Km - Was Not Speeding

by: mattcole on

Hello everyone, I am writing this for some advice. I cannot believe the power that is given to these people who are supposed to "protect" the public. I was going about 20 over in a 70km zone (which is average flow for that road) when an officer came through the bicycle lane behind me, he cut through traffic, with no lights, no sirens he drifted in front of me in traffic and blocked traffic horizontally in an intersection. He put other peoples lives at risk and almost hit me while doing that. What kind of officer pulls over a person this way? I really hope someone had a dash cam and put this video on the news to share.

He claimed his radar went off when he was travelling southbound and I was going northbound. These lanes are very large and lots of up and down. I was on a motorcycle that I took to the dealership to get recall done and was selling it. I retired from riding because I do not feel safe anymore. Therefore, I was not speeding as he says I was. How can he clock me at 183km? I was in shock when he told me. I did not know what was going on. He impounded my vehicle and threatened me that "In Ontario, you don't go to jail for very many things, but I have the power to arrest you right now and take you to jail." How disgusting is this? An innocent person can be treated in his way. I lost my licence for a week and I had to drive my elder helpless parents around the city for important things and now that is taken away from them. I have over 20 years in driving experience and I am much older than 25.

I understand if I was doing what he said, then I would not be here. But do you know the feeling when you are charged with something you did not do? How would you feel?

This is beyond disgusting that he has the audacity and the power to do this. Do they not believe in Karma? Because usually in life, what goes around comes around. You have wronged an innocent person and an innocent family and you sleep at night doing this because you felt like power tripping? How do you go feed your family at night?

I am a responsible adult who has not had tickets except for two minor charges 5 years ago. Is it not unfair to me that I have to pay impound fees and paralegal/lawyer fees for no reason? How do they get away with doing this? If they hate their neighbour or the colour of your skin, they can just do this to you and ruin your life. What kind of law is this?

His name on the ticket is incoherent. He put one name, no first or last. I can't even read as it looks like all consonants and no vowels. Everything else on the ticket is easy to read except his name. Why hide it?

Can anyone please help me out? I wish you all good karma in return. Kindness is what makes this world go around.

Last edited by mattcole on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

Yes the system can suck for a person who is wrongly accused, but that is what trials are for. I'm afraid if you want help you are going to have avoid ranting and ask specific questions as they pertain to your situation. Likely the best outcome is going to be to plead it down to 49 over but seeing how the officer believes you were going much faster than that you are unlikely to get a deal. Guilty or not, if I were you and a deal was offered I would take it. If nothing is offered then hire a professional to represent you as the repercussions are severe.

mattcole

by: mattcole on

ynotp wrote:Yes the system can suck for a person who is wrongly accused, but that is what trials are for. I'm afraid if you want help you are going to have avoid ranting and ask specific questions as they pertain to your situation. Likely the best outcome is going to be to plead it down to 49 over but seeing how the officer believes you were going much faster than that you are unlikely to get a deal. Guilty or not, if I were you and a deal was offered I would take it. If nothing is offered then hire a professional to represent you as the repercussions are severe.

Thank you for your reply. I do not want a plea deal because I was not guilty of the crime and I do not want my insurance rates to go up for something I did not do. I will consider hiring a paralegal or lawyer but since I was not guilty and he says he was travelling I believe that he may not have proper evidence against me. Is it possible to find a fatal flaw in the ticket or evidence? How should I proceed with this case? How can I find a trusted lawyer/paralegal to represent me and is it possible have the court award me of impound fees and lawyer fees if I win? I am sure the evidence is flawed and seems like it should be an easy case.

Thanks

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

100+ over the limit is no joke. It's the kind of charge that will get you in the news, which apparently it did.

The officer claims to have witnessed the motorcycle at an "extremely high speed" and confirmed it with radar.

It's going to be hard to defend against that. Not just the device reading, but the visual of a vehicle travelling almost 200km an hour. This also happened right in the middle of the day. It's pretty hard to defend yourself against that kind of visual confirmation alongside the readings.

Find yourself someone to rep you. This is not a set fine ($2,000 to $10,000) and it's possible that they'll be looking to make an example out of you considering the speed.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

You state in your title that you were not speeding yet in your post you say you were going 20 over ?

If the post is correct and you are offered just a speeding ticket instead of the stunt then you may want to consider taking it.

If he has evidence that you were doing 100 over the speed limit Im surprised he didnt hit you with a criminal Dangerous Driving.

First step is to get disclosure and see what the evidence is.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
The Stig

by: The Stig on

I'm confused, you were charged with Stunt Driving? So you were charged by way of a roadside issued summons? If I'm not mistaken an officers name isn't even on a roadside issued Summons, just a badge number at the bottom. Whereas a Part I ticket has the name right at the top.

Post a Reply