Driving With Expired License

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Driving With Expired License

Unread post by UnluckyDuck »

I know, I'm really stupid and irresponsible for not taking care of this before, but nonetheless, s*** happens.

So my license expires today, and I forgot to renew it. Is it still valid (expiry date is 2016/07/15) for me to drive today until midnight (gonna run on my lunch to go renew it), or has it already expired at 12AM today (essentially I'm driving without a license)? If it's already expired, I'd rather take a cab then risk another charge (I heard its a pretty serious offense).

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

Unread post by jsherk »

Good question!

I think that it is still valid today until the end of the day. However that is just a guess and I am not 100% sure.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

Unread post by argyll »

I'm the same, pretty sure you're ok. Give your local Service Ontario a call if you're worried but I'd drive.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Unread post by Stanton »

I'd have to look it up again but I disagree. I'm pretty sure either the o-reg itself or a related section says they expire ON the date shown, not at the end of the day.

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Unread post by UnluckyDuck »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I ended up taking a cab and renewed my license. I'd rather pay $20 just to be safe then risk another HTA offense.