patterjohn88

Legality Of Using Hwy Acceleration/merge Lane To Cut Traffic

by: patterjohn88 on

Hey all, just curious if anyone knows if the HTA says anything about someone on a highway using the acceleration/merging lane (not the shoulder) to cut in front of other vehicles during a traffic jam.

I am stuck in traffic all the time during rush hours and see many drivers do this.

Other than making everyone else hate you, are there any issues with this from a legal point of view?

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

As long as they follow section 142(1) there's nothing illegal about it.

142(1)The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before turning to the left or right at any intersection or into a private road or driveway or from one lane for traffic to another lane for traffic or to leave the roadway shall first see that the movement can be made in safety, and if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to make the movement. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 142

radek

by: radek on

This behavior, although possibly not outright illegal in the HTA, very much should be, especially on highways with metered ramps (QEW).

It slows down traffic for all other vehicles and by not being illegal(perhaps, im not a lawyer) it encourages this bad behavior to other drivers as the offenders get through traffic faster.

In regards to legality, would it not be illegal to pass on the right?

whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

by: whaddyaknow on

Unfortunately (or fortunately, due to all the left-lane hogging vigilante bandits) passing on the right is not illegal in Ontario.

Personally, I would love to see the government act on this particular issue. Too busy with buck-a-beer I guess ;-)

dadtoandrew

Posting Awards

by: dadtoandrew on

whaddyaknow wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately, due to all the left-lane hogging vigilante bandits) passing on the right is not illegal in Ontario.

Personally, I would love to see the government act on this particular issue. Too busy with buck-a-beer I guess ;-)

Where is the "like" button! :D