Improper right turn - Discuss the HTA here
juicyj

Turning Right Into Left Lane Knowing That The Lanes Merge

by: juicyj on

So today I received my first 3 traffic tickets after a female cop from an "invisible" OPP cop car booked me. Not a happy camper.

For my first traffic ticket, it is called "improper right turn". I turned right into the left lane (there was only the left or right lane which you could turn into). A lot of people do this because they know that the lanes merge into only the left lane. I also thought there was something obstructing the right lane in the front.

For my second traffic ticket, it is called "disobeying lane light". I think this is because I failed to fully stop behind the white lines, before I turned right. I did slow down, but due to slippery conditions and cars following closely behind me, I did not fully stop.

Conditions at the time were snow, slippery, and snow covered roads. There was no oncoming traffic, even after I turned right.

The third traffic ticket is because my ownership permit was not signed (by my dad) but I don't think I can fight this one.

Is it worth my effort to bring these tickets to court and how would I build my case? Please help. :(

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

The law requires you turn into the closest lane even if you must merge further up the road. You also must obviously stop at red lights even when road conditions are poor. Youre simply expected to adjust your driving accordingly. The Crown must prove their case if you go to trial, but it doesn't sound like you have a very strong defence based on your wording.

Probably your best bet would be to request a first attendance meeting. Im sure the Crown at the very least would drop one of your charges in exchange for a guilty plea on the other two. They may

also offer you reduced fines.

Post a Reply