Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Turning right into left lane knowing that the lanes merge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 pm 

So today I received my first 3 traffic tickets after a female cop from an "invisible" OPP cop car booked me. Not a happy camper.

For my first traffic ticket, it is called "improper right turn". I turned right into the left lane (there was only the left or right lane which you could turn into). A lot of people do this because they know that the lanes merge into only the left lane. I also thought there was something obstructing the right lane in the front.

For my second traffic ticket, it is called "disobeying lane light". I think this is because I failed to fully stop behind the white lines, before I turned right. I did slow down, but due to slippery conditions and cars following closely behind me, I did not fully stop.

Conditions at the time were snow, slippery, and snow covered roads. There was no oncoming traffic, even after I turned right.

The third traffic ticket is because my ownership permit was not signed (by my dad) but I don't think I can fight this one.

Is it worth my effort to bring these tickets to court and how would I build my case? Please help. :(

Re: Turning right into left lane knowing that the lanes merg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 am 
High Authority

The law requires you turn into the closest lane even if you must merge further up the road. You also must obviously stop at red lights even when road conditions are poor. You’re simply expected to adjust your driving accordingly. The Crown must prove their case if you go to trial, but it doesn't sound like you have a very strong defence based on your wording.

Probably your best bet would be to request a first attendance meeting. I’m sure the Crown at the very least would drop one of your charges in exchange for a guilty plea on the other two. They may
also offer you reduced fines.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]