Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

driving in oncoming traffic lane
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:14 pm 

Ok, this seems entirely my fault, but I can't help this strange feeling that the officer is somewhat to blame.

I made a left turn and noticed a police crusier in the oncoming traffic lane. While I was turning he slowed down to an almost a stop and stared at me making the turn. I got nervous and missed the gear, which caused me to make the turn really slow. The crusier was parked in the oncoming traffic lane still watching me, so I felt he wanted something from me like an explanation for my slow turn. I pulled into the left lane becide him and opened my window to ask the officer is anything was wrong. He told me to turn off the car where I was and gave me a ticket for diving in oncoming traffic. The roads were covered with snow and I missed the lines on the road indicating traffic direction. I did drive into an oncoming traffic, lane, but I did so because the officer distracted me and made me feel like I needed to stop.

Is there any defence for my actions?

Re: driving in oncoming traffic lane
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:56 am 

Why didn't you pull in your lane (the right lane)?

Anyway, if you feel that you didn't commit the traffic violation, then fight the ticket.

Choose option (3), plead not guilty.

Request a date for trial.
If English isn't your first language and you aren't very fluent and don't feel confident, then request an interpreter.
When the notice of date of trial arrives by mail, request full disclosure.

This could take many months, almost a year. If that happens, then you have other options.

Read the many topics in this forum.

The section Courts and Procedures has a lot of ideas.

Re: driving in oncoming traffic lane
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:51 am 

Thanks diehard, I didn't pull into the right lane because the officer was on the left side of the road. He didn't put on his cherries, but he slowed down and stopped while staring at me so I pulled up to him to see what was wrong. I of pulled over at all, I should have kept driving. I did commit the traffic offence, but I did so because of the officer's actions. If he was not staring at me I would not have gotten distracted and nervous to make the mistake. He slowed down and stopped while watching, so i thought that I hed done something wrong. If he was behind me like a proper stop, I would have pulled to the right, but he was in the opposite traffic lane and I just got confused.

I did commit the traffic violation, but was it all my fault?