A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

LeeGriffi

Faded License Plate

by: LeeGriffi on

Hello everyone.

I was stopped on the Gardiner Expressway earlier this week. The officer said that he could not read my rear plate and accused me of having "done sometime to the plate."

The blue paint had faded but my front plate was still fine. He then proceeded to tell me that my plates were being seized and that I would have to be towed somewhere. I told him I lived almost 2 hours away.

I was given 2 summons to appear in court. One under 12(1)(b) for having a "defaced or altered plate" and the other 13(2) for having a plate not clearly visible. But 13(2) says the plate must be clean, free from obstruction. It was clean and nothing was obstructing it. I thought nothing about the plate because the 407 picks it up no problem.

The officer told me I could get new plates at an MTO contracted office at a nearby mall since it was open until 7. I got there and it had closed at 5.

He initially stopped me because I was "driving a new car with old plates." The car is almost 2 years old.

So now I have to drive to traffic court in TO in May.

I have a traffic cop friend who has told me both charges are *EDIT* and I should sue Metro Police to get my towing charge, hotel and other expenses back.

Any advice????

bawer24

by: bawer24 on

I have the same charge 121b altered plates a friend of my now ex borrowed the van he got ppulled over in st catharines i was in niagara falls when they got pulled over he had a aug11 sticker on the plates my birthday is june. i got the ticket because van is in my name.

Reflections

by: Reflections on

One under 12(1)(b) for having a "defaced or altered plate"
-- Q. Officer what sort of defacing/alteration was performed on this plate? A. Weathering. Q. Officer, the term "defaced or altered" implies human intervention, does it not? Charge dismissed.

and the other 13(2) for having a plate not clearly visible.
Q. Officer, was the plate not attached to the vehicle, was it in the back window? A. It was properly attached to the vehicle. Q. Was there something in the way? A. No. Q. Then how could you not see the plate? Charge dismissed.

The plates on my wife's car are actually mine, from 1996! No issues, from the local officer's. I was actually thinking about redoing the lettering myself. Seeing as the MTO wants $148, i think, for new ones.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
Bookm

by: Bookm on

Being naturally suspicious of the government, I have to believe the MTO is current using garbage paint on their plates ON PURPOSE. I got my vanity plates in 1982 when the letters were dark blue on non-reflective white background. They are still in excellent condition today. Every day, I see new(er) plates (light blue on reflective white background) faded almost completely white.

So the police write more tickets and the MTO sells more replacement plates. What a scam ;)

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Reflections wrote:The plates on my wife's car are actually mine, from 1996! No issues, from the local officer's. I was actually thinking about redoing the lettering myself. Seeing as the MTO wants $148, i think, for new ones.

replacement plate = $20

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... lace.shtml
Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
smoothrunnings

by: smoothrunnings on

LeeGriffi wrote:Hello everyone.

I was stopped on the Gardiner Expressway earlier this week. The officer said that he could not read my rear plate and accused me of having "done sometime to the plate."

The blue paint had faded but my front plate was still fine. He then proceeded to tell me that my plates were being seized and that I would have to be towed somewhere. I told him I lived almost 2 hours away.

I was given 2 summons to appear in court. One under 12(1)(b) for having a "defaced or altered plate" and the other 13(2) for having a plate not clearly visible. But 13(2) says the plate must be clean, free from obstruction. It was clean and nothing was obstructing it. I thought nothing about the plate because the 407 picks it up no problem.

The officer told me I could get new plates at an MTO contracted office at a nearby mall since it was open until 7. I got there and it had closed at 5.

He initially stopped me because I was "driving a new car with old plates." The car is almost 2 years old.

So now I have to drive to traffic court in TO in May.

I have a traffic cop friend who has told me both charges are *EDIT* and I should sue Metro Police to get my towing charge, hotel and other expenses back.

Any advice????

Here something to think about. If the Ontario and the Queen's crown on your plate are still their original blue colour than likely you will lose in a court of law. I have seen all around the city people driving with tampered license plates. How do I know they are tampered? Well looking closely at the tag ID (that your letters and numbers) you can see a chemical film around the tag ID. Some the other cars I have seen are in the early stages as the chemical itself is grey in colour.

You have to remember it a privilege to drive in country and NOT your right. So if you you are really innocent you should have replaced your plates the last time you changed your sticker is that simple. Failing to do so only admits to your crime.

Oh I have started creating a website of tampered plates and videos of peoples bad driving habit. I use a DOD Tech LS430W, its the best car camera out there, it records at 1080p and is very sharp in both day and night time situations. My plan to to show the GTA that if the divided the police force into a traffic division they could generate enough money to support their division and the short fall the Toronto police say they are having.

A

CliffClaven

by: CliffClaven on

smoothrunnings wrote:Here something to think about. If the Ontario and the Queen's crown on your plate are still their original blue colour than likely you will lose in a court of law. I have seen all around the city people driving with tampered license plates. How do I know they are tampered? Well looking closely at the tag ID (that your letters and numbers) you can see a chemical film around the tag ID. Some the other cars I have seen are in the early stages as the chemical itself is grey in colour.

You have to remember it a privilege to drive in country and NOT your right. So if you you are really innocent you should have replaced your plates the last time you changed your sticker is that simple. Failing to do so only admits to your crime.

Oh I have started creating a website of tampered plates and videos of peoples bad driving habit. I use a DOD Tech LS430W, its the best car camera out there, it records at 1080p and is very sharp in both day and night time situations. My plan to to show the GTA that if the divided the police force into a traffic division they could generate enough money to support their division and the short fall the Toronto police say they are having.

A

Wow. What a knob you are.

Post a Reply