sayelia

Exchange Of Non-reinstated On License To Qc: Possible?

by: sayelia on

I moved from Ontario to Quebec and needed to exchange my Ontario Class G license to Quebec. In attempting to do so at SAAQ (Quebec's equivalent to Ontario's MTO), I was informed that my Ontario license had been suspended due to a defaulted speeding ticket in Ontario. This was to my surprise, of course, else I would not have been so unprepared while at SAAQ.

I went ahead and visited the Provincial Offenses Court in Ottawa and paid my speeding ticket. They indicated I needed to wait 4 business days for my suspension to be lifted. In 4 days, I am to return to Service Ontario and pay $150 for my Ontario's driver's license to be reinstated.

I indicated I will no longer have a need for an Ontario Driver's license, do I really need to return to pay this $150 fee for reinstatement?

MTO indicated I will have to as SAAQ will not accept a driver's license that has been suspended ... I thought I was waiting THE 4 BUSINESS DAYS for my suspension to be lifted.

SAAQ indicate I only needed to have my suspension lifted. In the clerk's words: "When you come back, you need to make sure you are no longer suspended (while she highlights in on the paper), then I will give you your Quebec license."

Am I able to exchange my Ontario license to Quebec, without having reinstated it first after an Ontario suspension?

I believe I do not understand what "reinstating" your license is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

If you've had a suspension, the conditions for lifting the suspension include the reinstatement fee. Yeah, I know, it's stupid, but it is what it is. Even if SAAQ accepts your "non-reinstated" licence, if you get pulled over in Ontario, your licence will show that it has not been reinstated and you'll be in some hot water then. My advice is to simply pay the reinstatement fee and that way it's all dealt with.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
sayelia

by: sayelia on

Radar Identified wrote:the conditions for lifting the suspension include the reinstatement fee
I cannot thank you enough. You certainly answered my question and with that said, I followed your advice. MTO Ottawa at 8 am this morning for the reinstatement (or "lift of suspension"). By 8:55 am, I was in Aylmer, QC; a smile on the clerk's face ... for not wasting anymore of her time. :D
Post a Reply