didinette

4 Tickets For Driving With No Insurance

by: didinette on

Hi all,

I'm just going to tell my story and se if I can get some advice from you.

I arrived in Canada 2 months ago and I have a Californian driver's license. When I went to exchange it, they asked for a driving record as they can't access the Californian DMV database anymore. So I requested my driving record by post a month ago and I'm still waiting for this paper.

In the meantime, I bought a car from a friend from BC and I had to register it as unfit as I couldn't get any insurance company to insure me with a US driver's license.

I've been patient and all but today, because of an emergency, I decided to take the car to go to the hospital nearby.

I got pulled over 5 minutes after leaving home and the officer told me she stopped me because the plates were obstructed! Anyway, I didn't lie and tell her the truth about me trying to get insured with no luck while waiting for the DMV record and she gave me 4 summons to court + towed the car away:

- operate vehicle without insurance - 2(1)(a)

- drive motor vehicle - no currently validated permit - 7 (1)(a)

- use plate not authorized for vehicle - 12 (1)(d)

- obstruct plate - 13(2)

I know what I did was wrong and that I broke the law. I just want to know if I should get a lawyer for my court appearance. Or should I go there and tell my story?

Thanks,

S.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Agree with Decatur. You're facing some pretty stiff fines, so I would strongly suggest that you get some sort of legal representation. Most paralegals and traffic lawyers offer free consultations, so call around and see. They will take your information, file a disclosure request and see what information the officer has. They will also attend court with you. In all likelihood, they will arrange for a plea-bargain to reduce the fines, but if they think they can beat one or more, they may opt to fight. In the mean time, get your paperwork from California, get the Ontario driver's licence, and then go get your plates and insurance. If you show that you have taken every measure to correct it, it will help your lawyer/paralegal with the plea bargain (if that's what it comes to). I would not recommend going in to court and simply saying "well, this is what happened..."

Side note... and kinda irrelevant... California is one of the few states that does not have reciprocity with Ontario, so that's why they couldn't access your driver record and requested that you get it by mail.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
didinette

by: didinette on

Thank you both for your help.

I called some insurance companies again today and I don't understand why they don't want to at least start my policy with my US driver's license. I have proof that it is still valid and clean but not a certified one. And I need to get the car out of the pound asap. This is just depressing... I totally screwed myself!!

viper1

by: viper1 on

didinette wrote:Thank you both for your help.

I called some insurance companies again today and I don't understand why they don't want to at least start my policy with my US driver's license. I have proof that it is still valid and clean but not a certified one. And I need to get the car out of the pound asap. This is just depressing... I totally screwed myself!!

The insurance wants continuity.

If you had insurance in the U.S it would have still covered you.(and N.P for new insurance)

Now you moved and the new insurance company wants to view your record.

They are just covering their bums.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply