A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Radar Identified

Top 10 Driver Pet Peeves (toronto Police Survey)

by: Radar Identified on

Issued in a news release by Toronto Police Traffic Services Sergeant Tim Burrows, these were the top 10 peeves of drivers in an on-line survey by the Toronto Police:

10. Slow drivers

9. Slower-moving drivers who pull into your lane when you're going faster

8. Late/no left-turn signals in traffic

7. Distracted drivers

6. Cyclists who disobey the HTA

5. Left Lane Bandits

4. Unsafe lane changes

3. Tailgating

2. Lane crashing/entering and using lanes that end to cut in front of other cars (drivers leaving the right lane on a freeway/expressway, jump on a ramp, pass cars, cut back in)

1. No signals - by a landslide

Reflections

by: Reflections on

Lane crashing------------@#%$#%#$@^#^%#%^ drivers.

http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com
ponyboyt

by: ponyboyt on

i can't belive no one ever mentions this, but my biggest is IDIOTS WHO GEAR DOWN to slow down AND DONT USE THEIR BRAKES god damn almost write off my car so many times coming through TO on the 401 cause of some idiot ricer in a civic. These people are horrible especialy in the rain when its hard enough to see. I've ended up on the shoulder more than once because of that, never crashed, probably because i look for it :P I would like to see how many tickets *I* would get for that, but then it wold be interesting to see what a Cadillac would do to a Honda :evil:

Marquisse

by: Marquisse on

:lol: Left Lane Bandits. I love it!

How about those who speed to get in front of you when you are the last car in the long line of moving vehicles, only to slam on the breaks because they were going faster than your lane and are about to brownnose the car ahead?

Or those idiots who, seeing your signal to enter their lane, speed UP in order to prevent you from executing a safe lane change for no other reason than just because they are feeling territorial on a public highway?

Heck, if I weren't so scared of guns, I'd apply to become an officer just to ticket these flarches.

Reflections

How about those who speed to get in front of you when you are the last car in the long line of moving vehicles, only to slam on the breaks because they were going faster than your lane and are about to brownnose the car ahead?

That was lane crashing.........

Or those idiots who, seeing your signal to enter their lane, speed UP in order to prevent you from executing a safe lane change for no other reason than just because they are feeling territorial on a public highway?

Blocking. I always love it when people do this for no reason at all.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Marquisse wrote:Or those idiots who, seeing your signal to enter their lane, speed UP in order to prevent you from executing a safe lane change for no other reason than just because they are feeling territorial on a public highway?

This might be part of the reason why Toronto drivers do not use their signals when changing lanes. Not a justification, but an explanation...

racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Radar Identified wrote:
Marquisse wrote:Or those idiots who, seeing your signal to enter their lane, speed UP in order to prevent you from executing a safe lane change for no other reason than just because they are feeling territorial on a public highway?

This might be part of the reason why Toronto drivers do not use their signals when changing lanes. Not a justification, but an explanation...

A part of? I found that the easiest way to merge into left lane when there is another vehicle pacing you is to speed up a bit and show left turn. In 9 cases out of 10 the jerk on the left rockets off, and then you easily merge...

Feels so nice in Guelph though. 9 out of 10 will actually let you merge without doing anything crazy.

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
Squishy

by: Squishy on

I gear down to slow on an incline or when I just want to adjust my speed (e.g., passed a car at 100 km/h and want to slow down to 80 km/h before Bear pops out of the woods). You really can't tell when a car slows down without brake lights? Or are you referring to drivers gearing all the way down to stop for a turn/stoplight? Never seen that before, but I could see how that could throw you off. Our Lancer is set up with a lot of engine braking from the factory; just by taking my foot off the gas, I can slow from 120 km/h to 100 km/h in a matter of seconds.

Not signalling seems to have gotten much worse in the last five years. I'm not taking it as personally as I used to, and I am not sure if that is a good thing. Back in the '90s, when a car merged in front of you without signalling, many times it was meant as an insult, or at least that was my impression. Most people tended to signal, and when they didn't, it was usually after passing a slow vehicle in the passing lanes.

Reflections

Squishy wrote:I gear down to slow

From rabbit to turtle?? Squish, get that lawn tractor off the street... :D

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

just to add in another twist...

Signal for stop

( 8 ) The driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway before stopping or suddenly decreasing the speed of the vehicle, if the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such stopping or decreasing of speed, shall give a signal plainly visible to the driver or operator of the other vehicle of the intention to stop or decrease speed,

manually

(a) by means of the hand and arm extended downward beyond the left side of the vehicle; or

signalling device

(b) by means of a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall emit a red or amber light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service or foot brake and which may or may not be incorporated with one or more rear lamps

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Squishy

by: Squishy on

Ooo, tricky. The Escape slows at roughly the same rate when I gear down (turn off O/D) as the Lancer does simply by going completely off the gas, though I would say that neither qualify as "sudden".

Manual transmission cars can engine brake much more effectively, so I guess that should be avoided in traffic. Saves gas in the newer cars though. :D

(Stop lamps can be amber? :shock: )

Reflections

So the car guys that recommend letting off the gas gently then applying the brakes, are telling you to break the law.......will wonders never cease in Ontario...... :x

SmokeScreen

by: SmokeScreen on

^ Jake brakes and retarders on automatics (large trucks and buses) can activate the brake lights if the relays for such are installed and working. I have seen many though that are not working because the relay has been removed or other wiring issues. There are also various levels of activation for engine brakes or retarders, light levels of either will not turn on the lights, only the moderate to high levels will. But yes, they can.

Post a Reply