70. (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,
(a) prescribing the standards and specifications of tires or any class or classes thereof in use on vehicles or any class or classes thereof;
(b) prescribing classes of tires;
(c) prescribing the standards and specifications of used or retreaded tires offered for sale and prohibiting the sale of the tires or any type thereof that do not comply with the standards and specifications therefor prescribed by the regulations or that are not marked in accordance with the regulations;
(d) providing for and requiring the identification and marking of used or retreaded tires;
(e) prohibiting the use of any type of tire on a highway at any time or during any period of the year and designating the period;
(e.1) exempting any vehicle or person or class or type of vehicles or class of persons from a prohibition under clause (e) and regulating the use of a type of tire that is otherwise prohibited under clause (e) for the purpose of such exemption, including prescribing the period of the year during which and geographic areas where the exemption applies and other conditions and circumstances that must exist for the exemption to apply;
(f) prescribing procedures for examining tires for the purpose of determining whether the prescribed standards and specifications have been met;
(g) regulating installation and placement of tires to be used on vehicles or any class or classes thereof;
(h) regulating combinations of tires installed on vehicles or any class or classes thereof;
(i) Repealed: 2006, c. 19, Sched. T, s. 5.
R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 70 (1); 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 11; 2006, c. 19, Sched. T, s. 5.
(2) Any regulation may adopt by reference, in whole or in part, with the changes that the Lieutenant Governor in Council considers necessary, any code, and may require compliance with any code that is so adopted. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 70 (2).
(3) No person shall operate or permit to be operated upon a highway a vehicle that is,
(a) fitted with a tire that does not conform with the standards and specifications prescribed in the regulations; or
(b) fitted with tires that are installed in a manner, in a place or in a combination that does not conform with the specifications prescribed in the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 70 (3).
(4) Every person who contravenes this section or any regulation made under this section is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 70 (4).
Same commercial motor vehicle
(4.1) Despite subsection (4), every person who contravenes this section or any regulation made under this section is guilty of an offence and, if the offence was committed by means of a commercial motor vehicle within the meaning of subsection 16 (1), on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $20,000. 1996, c. 20, s. 16.
(5) Repealed: 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 13.
(6) Repealed: 1999, c. 12, Sched. R, s. 13.
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"
www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
- Similar Topics
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest