Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Drinking in vehical
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 pm 

Hey im wondering if the driver of a vehical can get a ticket for allowing their passengers to drink in the vehical. and what is the charge is for the passenger. thanks

Re: Drinking in vehical
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Don't allow your passengers to drink in your vehicle dude! What's wrong with you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm 

As the driver you could be charged under section 32. (1) of the Liquor Licence Act, the maximum penalty under this section is a fine of $100,000 or imprisonment for a term of not more than one year or both. Now I doubt you would get something that harsh on a first offence but it still is not worth the risk. I have quoted and linked to the law below if you want to read further.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... e.htm#BK72

32. (1) No person shall drive or have the care or control of a motor vehicle as defined in the Highway Traffic Act or a motorized snow vehicle, whether it is in motion or not, while there is contained in the vehicle any liquor, except under the authority of a licence or permit. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 32 (1).
Exception
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the liquor in the vehicle,
(a) is in a container that is unopened and the seal unbroken; or
(b) is packed in baggage that is fastened closed or is not otherwise readily available to any person in the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 32 (2).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm 

seemsok wrote:
Hey im wondering if the driver of a vehical can get a ticket for allowing their passengers to drink in the vehical. and what is the charge is for the passenger. thanks

Passenger is "liquor other then home."
If your are not drinking maybe liquor readily available.

Not sure about prices , just don't do it.

Cheers
Viper1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am 
High Authority

Charge wordings & fines below.

Driver:
1) Driving/Having Care Control of motor vehicle with open/unsealed liquor - 32(1) LLA - $175/$210
2) Driving/Having Care Control of motor vehicle with liquor readily available - 32(1) LLA - $150/$180

Passenger:
1) Consuming liquor/Having liquor in open container in other than licensed premises, residence or private place - 31(2) LLA - $100/$125

Also note that by consuming alcohol in your vehicle, police have full authority to search you, your vehicle and the occupants.
"A police officer who has reasonable grounds to believe that liquor is being unlawfully kept in a vehicle or boat may at any time, without a warrant, enter and search the vehicle or boat and search any person found in it." 32(5) LLA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 am 

admin wrote:
Don't allow your passengers to drink in your vehicle dude! What's wrong with you?

I was curious cuz i enjoy gettin hammerd while others drive me around, doesnt everybody?... is it legal in a limo?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 am 
High Authority

seemsok wrote:
is it legal in a limo?

Nope.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

seemsok wrote:
I was curious cuz i enjoy gettin hammerd while others drive me around, doesnt everybody?

No its not normal to do that, and you might have a drinking problem if you are contemplating such things. Why dont you just drink in a bar and then get your friend to drive you around after? You should not drink in the car as a passenger. Thats a very stupid thing to do. It also gives drinking access to your driver (who might ask you for a sip if hes also that stupid enough to allow you to drink in his car, while driving you around to get "hammered").

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm 

admin wrote:
seemsok wrote:
I was curious cuz i enjoy gettin hammerd while others drive me around, doesnt everybody?

No its not normal to do that, and you might have a drinking problem if you are contemplating such things. Why dont you just drink in a bar and then get your friend to drive you around after? You should not drink in the car as a passenger. Thats a very stupid thing to do. It also gives drinking access to your driver (who might ask you for a sip if hes also that stupid enough to allow you to drink in his car, while driving you around to get "hammered").

ha i was just curious, i wouldent drink in a car.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 pm 

Then again, there have been drivers who have been stopped for drinking alcohol while driving... in front of a marked police cruiser. (Just ask the OPP who patrol the 400 on a summer long weekend.)