A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
jmaxwell

What Do I Say To The Jp?

by: jmaxwell on

Hi all!

I got ticketed for speeding - 68 on a 50 zone. The officer reduced it on the spot to 65.

Anyway, I already have a previous minor speeding conviction 2 years ago and pleading guilty now will surely raise my insurance which is up for renewal in October.

So I will be fighting this in court if only to delay conviction so I don't pay more. Insurance are already expensive as they are.

The last time I went to court, the prosecutor lined up everybody outside to try one last attempt to get guilty pleas. I got intimidated and accepted a reduction plus no demerit points.

They went through all the guilty first in court and when I was done, I stuck around to watch and saw that a good number of those who fought their tickets ended up getting their charges dropped because the officer was not there. That and the fact I couldn't see the officer who ticketed me around made me feel really bad about pleading guilty.

So this ticket I want to fight to the end. Question is what do I say to the justice of the peace when it is my turn? I know speeding is absolute liability so I don't want to make excuses and I do not want to embarrass myself. When I am asked, do I just be honest and politely say I pleaded not guilty to avoid an increase in my insurance rate?

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

jmaxwell wrote:Hi all!

I got ticketed for speeding - 68 on a 50 zone. The officer reduced it on the spot to 65.

Anyway, I already have a previous minor speeding conviction 2 years ago and pleading guilty now will surely raise my insurance which is up for renewal in October.

So I will be fighting this in court if only to delay conviction so I don't pay more. Insurance are already expensive as they are.

The last time I went to court, the prosecutor lined up everybody outside to try one last attempt to get guilty pleas. I got intimidated and accepted a reduction plus no demerit points.

They went through all the guilty first in court and when I was done, I stuck around to watch and saw that a good number of those who fought their tickets ended up getting their charges dropped because the officer was not there. That and the fact I couldn't see the officer who ticketed me around made me feel really bad about pleading guilty.

So this ticket I want to fight to the end. Question is what do I say to the justice of the peace when it is my turn? I know speeding is absolute liability so I don't want to make excuses and I do not want to embarrass myself. When I am asked, do I just be honest and politely say I pleaded not guilty to avoid an increase in my insurance rate?

wow how bad does that suck,

sorry I cant really help you, but can I ask you a question

did your insurance go up and if so by a lot for your first speeding

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

jmaxwell wrote:Hi all!

however if it helps, I thought I had a good excuse for mine, when I spoke to the prosecutor, (even had supporting documentation)

BUT she simply said "should you have been driving?"

From what I've read here, unless its life and death and your racing to a cop shop, anything else is an excuse;

1> I didnt see the sign

2> I thought this was an xxxx limit

3> Its my first offence

4> please please please, sobbing>

5> Getting your tits out :)

6> I was gonna poop/puke/pee myself

7> I was late for work

8> I'm an EMS/Police/ff and was late for my shift

9> I was going to get fired if I was late again

10>I was overtaking a dangerous situation

11> My life was in danger

12> I was pregnant about to deliver (hmmm maybe, but they'll probably say that you should have stopped and called 911)

ad-nauseum

unless its a really valid, they'll only see it as an excuse and theres "no excuse EVER for speeding" :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think this kinda stuff should get done at the roadside,

most UK cops will cut you a break, or even give you a severe talking to,

here they are just out to write you a ticket, there not even vaguley interested in the reason.

(thats just my IMHO and from also the posts I've seen here)

Of course I'm new here so somone more expertly will chime in

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
jmaxwell

by: jmaxwell on

My insurance allows 1 minor conviction in the past 3 years so my rate did not really increase however I became in-eligible for some discounts, such as when I got my G license.

I was told by my rep that 2 convictions I would be looking at a 5 to 15% increase in my insurance rate.

I don't really want to make any excuses for speeding, but to be honest its this increase in insurance that bothers me the most. I want to take my chances and hope that the officer doesn't show up but if he does, I don't know if I should just blurt out an excuse or be forthright about my decision to go to trial.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

jmaxwell wrote: Question is what do I say to the justice of the peace when it is my turn? I know speeding is absolute liability so I don't want to make excuses and I do not want to embarrass myself. When I am asked, do I just be honest and politely say I pleaded not guilty to avoid an increase in my insurance rate?

You don't have to provide any reason as to why you went to trial; its your right to have one. I would personally suggest NOT saying its to avoid an increase in your insurance rates. Id simply say you'd like the Crown to prove the case against you.

Now if the officer shows (which he probably will) and has proper notes regarding the incident, a conviction is quite likely. If you've made past your renewal point and can afford the conviction, you can always plead guilty to the reduced fine right at the start of your trial. If your force the trial with no defence you'll likely be found guilty anyways and just pay a higher fine.

Post a Reply

Return to “Exceeding the speed limit by 16 to 29 km/h”