Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

First Offence - 85km/h in 60 zone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:19 am 

Hi everyone,

I am a G2 licence driver, have been driving for 2 years and this is my first offence. On Thursday, I was caught going 85km/h in a 60 zone. I was switching into the right lane from the middle lane while driving downhill (I needed to make a right very soon) and there is a bridge crossing perpendicular so you are not able to see the other side. Once I reached the bottom of the hill, the I saw the officer start to signal me to the side. He approached me, I didn't say anything to him and he gave me two tickets:

i) Driving 85 in 60 zone
ii) Expired car registration

Now for the second ticket, I had a Oct 2014 sticker on my back license plate but for the paper copy I only had the front part of the registration and not the back. So he told me to look at Step 3 and to bring in the sticker showing my car registration was valid (which I do have). For the speeding ticket, I truly do not believe I was going 85km/h as I have never gone 20km over a limit.

My plan is to go to the traffic court and file intent a notice to appear for trial and plea not guilty (step 3) for both tickets. Is there anyway I can easily solve the expired registration ticket without going to court? (I already have the neccesary documentation to show valid registration which expires Oct 2014). And once I do file, should I immediately request for disclosure? I am hoping that I can someway get the tickets dropped or at least lower my speeding to the 15km/h over so I do not lose any demerit points (I know that insurance companies dont care about points).

Any insight would be great!

Re: First Offence - 85km/h in 60 zone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:51 pm 

If your intention is to plea-bargain at your trial date, you should file both tickets for trial. The prosecutor will most likely drop the 'registration ticket' in exchange for a plea-deal on a reduced speed (most likely +15km/h: no points).

Once you get your 'Notice of Trial', you should request disclosure from the prosecutor's office. You can request for a copy of the officer's notes and his 'speed measuring device's manual'. You'll see exactly how the officer registered that speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 am 

Thanks iFly. Sorry in terms of the "registration ticket", I am referring to Drive motor vehicle, no permit.

I've been reading around, and lots of people are saying it could be months before my trial date. I am going back to University in September and it is out of Toronto, so I am looking for the quickest way to resolve this without as much hassle.

People always say choose Option 3 instead, but can I choose Option 2 and bring all my valid stickers, registration, etc. to show the prosecutor that my permit is valid, so this charge can be withdrawn?

And knowing that I probably have a small chance of getting my speeding ticket completely withdrawn, would it be wise to choose Option 2 to see if the prosecutor will lessen the charge to +15km/h at the early resolution meeting?

Update: I have just read this post topic4411.html and realized that I would just have to choose Option 2 for both tickets then.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:10 am 

Thanks iFly.
Rocks789 wrote:
Sorry in terms of the "registration ticket", I am referring to Drive motor vehicle, no permit.
This is incorrect. The offence I was charged for is "Failure to Surrender Permit".

I've been reading around, and lots of people are saying it could be months before my trial date. I am going back to University in September and it is out of Toronto, so I am looking for the quickest way to resolve this without as much hassle.

People always say choose Option 3 instead, but can I choose Option 2 and bring all my valid stickers, registration, etc. to show the prosecutor that my permit is valid, so this charge can be withdrawn?

And knowing that I probably have a small chance of getting my speeding ticket completely withdrawn, would it be wise to choose Option 2 to see if the prosecutor will lessen the charge to +15km/h at the early resolution meeting?

Update: I have just read this post topic4411.html and realized that I would just have to choose Option 2 for both tickets then.