Disclosure request content

gt0ro
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined:

Disclosure request content

Unread post by gt0ro on

Hello,

I plan to request disclosure through registered mail or fax. I've tried requesting in person but got rejected because they told me I did not provide sufficient information on my Disclosure Request letter.

My question is, do they really need the officer's name and division when I provided them with the Offence Number, Offence Date, Charge, Court Date, and Location? Also they said they do not mail out disclosure so I need to leave a phone number. Do I need to leave my phone number or can I ask that they contact me through mail/fax?

Last question, is it better to fax or send registered mail? or does it not really make a difference?

Thanks!


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

The main purpose of fax/registered mail is that there is a trail. This aleiviates the I said/ you Said finger pointing.

One of our members has a website, http://www.ticketcombat.com and it contains an example of a disclosure letter.
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


gt0ro
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined:

Unread post by gt0ro on

I have read the ticketcombat site and already went to request disclosure in person. I was turned away because they told me I had insufficient information on my request letter (I used the disclosure request form on the ticketcombat site). They said I needed to add the officer's ID, division, and leave my phone number as they do not mail out disclosure.

I've read the ticketcombat website and it advises me to not leave a phone number so there is a "trail". Also, I included the offence number in my disclosure request which I believe should be enough information to get the officer's ID, and division.

I was just wondering if there is anyway around leaving a phone number? I would really like everything to be written on paper. Is it possible to leave out my phone number and specifically request a response by mail?


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

where are you requesting?? Barrie, Mississauga?
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


User avatar
ticketcombat
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 486
Joined:
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Unread post by ticketcombat on

gt0ro wrote:I have read the ticketcombat site and already went to request disclosure in person. I was turned away because they told me I had insufficient information on my request letter (I used the disclosure request form on the ticketcombat site). They said I needed to add the officer's ID, division, and leave my phone number as they do not mail out disclosure.

I've read the ticketcombat website and it advises me to not leave a phone number so there is a "trail". Also, I included the offence number in my disclosure request which I believe should be enough information to get the officer's ID, and division.

I was just wondering if there is anyway around leaving a phone number? I would really like everything to be written on paper. Is it possible to leave out my phone number and specifically request a response by mail?
I've sorry but this is absolute BS from the Crown. The defendant only has to say "Give me disclosure" and provide their name and offence number at a minimum. If they know who you are and they are prosecuting YOU, it doesn't matter who the officer is, where he works or what high school he went to! If they don't know who their witness is, you shouldn't be telling them. Why would you help them convict you??? Ask the clerk for their name and leave the disclosure request at the clerk's desk. Say they can respond or not, it doesn't matter, you will certainly take it up with the justice at trial. (Giving them the finger is optional!)

As for their demand for a phone number, like I said, giving them the finger is optional!
Fight Your Ticket!


User avatar
Radar Identified
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2881
Joined:
Location: Toronto

Moderator

Unread post by Radar Identified on

ticketcombat wrote:(Giving them the finger is optional!)
:twisted: :lol:

gt0ro, did you happen to get the clerk's name? You could also try registered mail but I don't see any difference here between that and what ticketcombat suggested. If they continue to insist on additional details from you, well, that's not your problem and it's setting you up for an easy win. The Justice of the Peace will gladly quash the proceedings on improper disclosure. Actually speaking of that... couple of months ago I watched a trial in Scarborough get stayed for exactly these same circumstances! The JP was livid. It might be a new "intimidation" tactic the Crown is trying. That said, I can't believe that with so many informed people out there, the Crown office would try that kind of a stunt. Unreal.


liveontheedge
Member
Member
Posts: 150
Joined:

Unread post by liveontheedge on

gt0ro wrote:Hello,... Do I need to leave my phone number or can I ask that they contact me through mail/fax?

Thanks!
Definitely do not give them your fax number.


gt0ro
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined:

Unread post by gt0ro on

Thank you so much for clarifying this matter! I will send in registered mail!


User avatar
neo333
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 68
Joined:
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Unread post by neo333 on

I think it's always better to fax (with confirmation) or mail (registered) than to go in person to request disclosure. You don't have to deals with any BS from the clerks. No difference between fax or regmail, just make sure you have evidence. You'll save a few bucks if you fax though.

Make the prosecution work. They can look up the officer's details. You just need to ask for disclosure, period. Just include the minimum amount of information (Offence Number, Offence Date, Charge, Court Date, and Location) and never leave your phone number. Make them write a letter and mail it to you.

Make sure you request a detailed disclosure for all relevant information on your case. You need to be specific.

Good luck!


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

Just like the movie, Neo is everywhere...................
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


gt0ro
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined:

Unread post by gt0ro on

I haven't gotten any response yet and it's past my diary date. I'm planning on sending in another disclosure request.

Is there anything different I have to add from my first request? ie. telling them i haven't received anything or any response from my first request. this is my second request...

thanks!


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

gt0ro wrote:I haven't gotten any response yet and it's past my diary date. I'm planning on sending in another disclosure request.

Is there anything different I have to add from my first request? ie. telling them i haven't received anything or any response from my first request. this is my second request...

thanks!
Nope, two "recordable" request is plenty..... then you can argue improper disclosure....
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


CoolChick
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined:

Unread post by CoolChick on

Why not give them a time limit and say you will be down in person to pick it up on a specific date !

Or ask how long it takes ...if they say 5 days... then say you will be down on that date five days from now !

Or give them a time limit (in writing by recorded mail) slightly in excess of the time they say they need to get disclosure ready. If not ready for you by that time or they havent replied explaining delay....explain in the letter that you will assume your request is not being honoured !!!


User avatar
Reflections
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1490
Joined:
Location: somewhere in traffic

Moderator

Unread post by Reflections on

CoolChick wrote:Why not give them a time limit and say you will be down in person to pick it up on a specific date !

Or ask how long it takes ...if they say 5 days... then say you will be down on that date five days from now !

Or give them a time limit (in writing by recorded mail) slightly in excess of the time they say they need to get disclosure ready. If not ready for you by that time or they havent replied explaining delay....explain in the letter that you will assume your request is not being honoured !!!
Unfortunately you can't push them like that. The Crown runs the show in Canada, not the JP. Let the Crown take their time.....
http://www.OHTA.ca OR http://www.OntarioTrafficAct.com


CoolChick
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined:

Unread post by CoolChick on

OK but according to our rights....we have the right to a fair and speedy trial.... if they delay the disclosure indefinitely wouldn't that compromise our right ?






Locked

Return to “Courts and Procedure”