FiReSTaRT

2 Toronto Parking Tickets In 2 Minutes!!!

by: FiReSTaRT on

My buddy came over for a visit, blocked my driveway and my neighbor had to park on the street (prohibited between 10:00 and 18:00. Recently she received 2 notices of impending conviction for the same offense (the infraction numbers differ by 1), one with a 13:29 time stamp and the other with 13:31 time stamp. Now, the neighbor never received any tickets for this offense.

1) Can I file to dispute the notice? Should I claim that I operated a vehicle or can I just show up and represent her pro bono? How would I go about it?

2) Would the lack of offence notices void the tickets? What about receiving 2 tickets within 2 minutes from each other?

3) Are they even allowed to keep writing tickets for a single vehicle? What's to stop them from just camping beside one vehicle and issuing 50 of them?

4) Can I file a formal complaint against the issuing officer?

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

it could be 2 different bylaw infractions that the peson received?

(ie: parking at wrong time and park by fire hydrant, which would equal 2 different offences on the same spot)

another side note, books of tickets are numbered, but the numbers before and after that book could be signed out by another officer and still be sequential

or was it a computer generate ticket, which gets numbers automatically (like the Parking Wars as seen on TV)

Maybe she should ask for disclosure and go from there.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
FiReSTaRT

Ooops, Bear, could you rename the thread to make it "parking tickets"? That's what I get from writing while pissed off.. Same infraction, I checked. It's a very quiet residential area, so I sincerely doubt they'll have more than 1 unit workin' it. The meter maid never left a ticket on the windshield. She would have run up to my door and handed it to my guest had that happened. She just got 2 impending conviction notices for the same infraction (quadruple-checked) in a span of 2 minutes, in her mailbox. I don't think another unit could have signed out the book and written a ticket in that amount of time. It most likely was just one unit, driving down the street, writing tickets but not even bothering to leave them on the cars. I love performance-oriented enforcement, especially when it's piecework-based :roll:

I'm handling the case because my guest's actions forced her to park on the street and LSUC's Bylaw 4, Sec 30 allows for me to represent her (thank you TC 8)) My guest will be driving me to the court house.

By the way, had the meter maid left just one ticket on the dash, I would have had my buddy just pay for it and that would have been the end of this saga.

What kind of a man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Ooops, Bear, could you rename the thread to make it "parking tickets"?

completed as requested

The meter maid never left a ticket on the windshield. She would have run up to my door and handed it to my guest had that happened.
don't think they would go and try to find the owner on any occassion

She just got 2 impending conviction notices for the same infraction (quadruple-checked) in a span of 2 minutes, in her mailbox.
Here's a thought....possibly was there an error on the 1st one, so the officer wrote the 2nd with no errors, then the officer did not write "void" on the 1st and the 1st one got filed in error?

I don't think another unit could have signed out the book and written a ticket in that amount of time. .

I sign a book of tickets out at the office and say the number of the highest ticket is 199263455. A coworker signs a book out and that book lowest number starts at 199263456. We both go on the road and could possibly issue the 2 sequential offence notices to the same person.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

FiReSTaRT wrote:My buddy came over for a visit, blocked my driveway and my neighbor had to park on the street (prohibited between 10:00 and 18:00. Recently she received 2 notices of impending conviction for the same offense (the infraction numbers differ by 1), one with a 13:29 time stamp and the other with 13:31 time stamp. Now, the neighbor never received any tickets for this offense.

1) Can I file to dispute the notice? Should I claim that I operated a vehicle or can I just show up and represent her pro bono? How would I go about it?

2) Would the lack of offence notices void the tickets? What about receiving 2 tickets within 2 minutes from each other?

3) Are they even allowed to keep writing tickets for a single vehicle? What's to stop them from just camping beside one vehicle and issuing 50 of them?

4) Can I file a formal complaint against the issuing officer?

Just go to the Markham road office and fill in the form for trial.

I pay most of my tickets but not ones like you got.

I have at least 6 that I asked for trial and now all of them are at least 2 years old no notice of trial or for that matter any response.

I am not sure what happens to them but the oldest I have is about 6 years old.

Again if I truly parked bad I pay them.

So fill out the trial form and forget about it.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
FiReSTaRT

For starters, thanks Bear.

don't think they would go and try to find the owner on any occassion

She was only away from the car for 15min, so had she seen a ticket on her dash, she would have run up to my door started banging and probably had a few choice words for my buddy :twisted:

Here's a thought....possibly was there an error on the 1st one, so the officer wrote the 2nd with no errors, then the officer did not write "void" on the 1st and the 1st one got filed in error?

Even if that is true, my street is already overenforced when it comes to meter maids and they're a rude bunch. On one occasion they even parked in front of my house and started staring me down because I warned a couple of my neighbors.

I sign a book of tickets out at the office and say the number of the highest ticket is 199263455. A coworker signs a book out and that book lowest number starts at 199263456. We both go on the road and could possibly issue the 2 sequential offence notices to the same person.

The outpost is at least 5min under best possible conditions. Even had the 22nd built an outpost across the street, it would take longer than 2 minutes for the meter maid to walk into it, sign it over to another meter maid, for them to notice an illegally parked car and enter the information.

I have at least 6 that I asked for trial and now all of them are at least 2 years old no notice of trial or for that matter any response.

That's what I'm counting on in this case :D

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:Even if that is true, my street is already overenforced when it comes to meter maids and they're a rude bunch.

You must live in Etobicoke. :shock:

Yep, two tickets in two minutes?! At least one of them should be withdrawn.

Correction: IF the system wasn't a modified Gong Show, at least one of them should be withdrawn. However, they'll likely go after both of them.

The fact that the ticket(s) was/were never delivered to her, instead only a notice of impending conviction... should make for an interesting cross-examination of the by-law enforcement officer by you.

FiReSTaRT

Lol, yes I DO live in Etobicoke :shock:

That's assuming it ever gets to court. The backlog is giving some mixed signals even with the increased number of courtrooms. If it does, it'll make good practice for when more's at stake.

By the way are they allowed to slap you with 2 tickets in 2 minutes? What's to stop a meter maid to just start camping next to a car and writing as many tickets as they can until the owner shows up and they slap him/her with $2000 worth of parking tickets?

If there is no law preventing them from doing that, should I just file 4F's for 11a, 11h (a stretch?) and possibly 11b?

FiReSTaRT

By the way, I went to court yesterday and the counter clerk told me that he can cancel one of the tickets if I agree to pay the other one or that I should take both to court. I didn't like his attitude or his style of delivery so I gave him a fake polite smile (I picked up some bad habits after spending 15 years in Canada :twisted:) and told him "Thank you very much but I'll just take both tickets to trial."

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

FiReSTaRT wrote:By the way are they allowed to slap you with 2 tickets in 2 minutes? What's to stop a meter maid to just start camping next to a car and writing as many tickets as they can until the owner shows up and they slap him/her with $2000 worth of parking tickets?

For the same offence, the court would throw out all but one of them if Parking Enforcement just sat there writing up tickets non-stop. So, I guess they could write all of those tickets but they'd only get one conviction if it was the same charge. It's almost double jeopardy.

I'd try to file a 4F for 11a and 11b, for sure, even though you could prove that your neighbour was double-ticketed for the same offence at the same time and place.

FiReSTaRT

Considering the time difference, I sincerely doubt that I'll have much proving to do.

viper1

by: viper1 on

FiReSTaRT wrote:By the way, I went to court yesterday and the counter clerk told me that he can cancel one of the tickets if I agree to pay the other one or that I should take both to court. I didn't like his attitude or his style of delivery so I gave him a fake polite smile (I picked up some bad habits after spending 15 years in Canada :twisted:) and told him "Thank you very much but I'll just take both tickets to trial."

If you want a real kodak moment just ask one of those clerks for a handful of those forms.

They keep them behind the counter now.

They treat them as if they pay for them (own $) the way they don't want to give them out.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Post a Reply