Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Teen Stunt Driving Charge
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 pm 

Hey, bellow I will state the conditions and the situation which occurred before I continue:

Record: No tickets, no criminal history, never been pulled over before. G2 licence. 17 years of age.

How it happened: Was going 159 in a 60 zone (thought it was an 80 since I was 2 lights away from the 80 zone) and was pulled over. Retrieved the speeding and stunt driving charge, 7 day car impoundment, 7 day license suspension.

With that being said. I was driving my car (which is under my dads name for insurance purposes) being Audi S4. It was within the first 2 weeks of receiving the car. I normally never speed, I always drive according to the speed limit and the one night I drove at 2 am coming back from the movies. I decided to test this little bad boy out and a minute after I launch and stop at a red light. I see a car with flashing lights (undercover) approaching.

With the conditions that this is my first offence, I do not have a job, am graduating high school going to university next year, am under 18 and cannot afford the charges myself, what form of negotiation will the crown give me as I am planning on fighting the case with a professional lawyer. A person with actual experience would be of great help.

Re: Teen Stunt Driving Charge
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 pm 
VIP

Words fail me. Inexperienced driver and at that speed. You are INCREDIBLY lucky you didn't get a Criminal Code Dangerous Driving charge. I will be stunned if the crown offers any negotiation at all and as you have retained counsel what exactly are you hoping to get from an anonymous Internet forum above and beyond their advice.

If you are not a troll, then regardless of the outcome I hope you learn from this and slow down for everyone's sake including your own. If convicted then driving won't be in your future for a long long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:06 pm 

argyll wrote:
Words fail me. Inexperienced driver and at that speed. You are INCREDIBLY lucky you didn't get a Criminal Code Dangerous Driving charge. I will be stunned if the crown offers any negotiation at all and as you have retained counsel what exactly are you hoping to get from an anonymous Internet forum above and beyond their advice.

If you are not a troll, then regardless of the outcome I hope you learn from this and slow down for everyone's sake including your own. If convicted then driving won't be in your future for a long long time.

It was an honest mistake, I never speed not including this once in a blue moon occasion. I really don't want to have my parents pay grands just for a stupid teenage mistake. Would they really not consider lowering my penalty?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:30 pm 
VIP

You were going almost 100 kms/hr over the speed limit. To bring that down to any sort of break for you they'd have to shave off 50 kms/hr from your recorded speed. I would be very surprised if you get any break at all and, as has been mentioned on these boards, speeding is one of the hardest tickets to beat.

I'm sorry for not having sympathy for the fact that this was a one and only time (if it was) - it was incredibly reckless and put lives at risk. I'm afraid you are going to wear this for a long long long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:39 pm 

One of my first stunt divers was a 89 over (149 in a 60) The driver was 17 years old and without going to trial the defence and prosecutor came to a deal of a year suspension and a $2000 fine. The JP made a comment that if the two parties had not come to an agreement he would have sent the young man to jail. He also didn't have any convictions.
Food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:44 pm 

Decatur wrote:
One of my first stunt divers was a 89 over (149 in a 60) The driver was 17 years old and without going to trial the defence and prosecutor came to a deal of a year suspension and a $2000 fine. The JP made a comment that if the two parties had not come to an agreement he would have sent the young man to jail. He also didn't have any convictions.
Food for thought.

Aha I guess I should start getting used to the transit and all that wonderful stuff for school and work purposes :|

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:47 pm 
VIP

Without question. It sounds like your family has money but even when you get your licence back your insurance will be nose-bleedingly expensive for a long time. Think 5 figures possibly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:06 am 

Unfortunately the law doesn't take your age , time of day/night , or even road conditions into account before throwing the book at you .

I would say don't feel too depressed about this. You are a teenager and you made a mistake as all teenagers do . The people commenting including cops were all teenagers and surely have made stupid mistakes when younger , just different degrees of stupid. Thank god that you are alive and no one has been injured or killed .

The S4 can race and stop on a dime . Very few cars are capable of this . So , I understand you punching it like you did.

My advice , next time try the track .

Best of luck !

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 am 

At least your name wasn't in the paper.