A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Insurance Renewals

by: bobajob on

Just wanted to share, a question that comes up about effects of insurance and convictions

So my car quote, came in $457 less than last year, listed as 1 minor (speeding) due to come off this year in June (as far as abstract is concerned) renewal is in March

Wife has a 1 minor as well speeding , "think" it comes off next year (2018), now her one has gone up $103 a year (or $8 month) renewal again is in March

Any questions please ask

txs

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

My insurer told me that they don't worry about 1 ticket, i.e. No surcharge. More than one then it goes up.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
bobajob

Posting Awards

mine told me (a few years ago) depends on the ticket, I had a doing a u-turn where there was a no uturn sign, the insurance wasnt too bothered about it

the speeding, only regarded as a minor, it did go up last year about 5-10% but this year has gone down.

coolski

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
bobajob

Posting Awards

oh wait a minute, didn't something go through from gov't that insurance companies had to reduce there quotes ? I believe it wasn't mandatory.

anyway I'm not complaining, though sig other is ;)

* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
dude

Posting Awards

by: dude on

My insurer uses an app that monitors your driving and if you get a good score they give you a discount of up to 25% (You will never get this unless you get 100%) on your next renewal.

Sad to say my insurance company decided i was in an at fault accident for something that never happened but couldn't prove it. However I did good on the app and got a pretty good discount that lowered my insurance by $40/month even with an at fault accident.

And being part of a professional association also reduced my insurance by $100/month back when i was still considered a "Student" (Under 25)

Pepsi

by: Pepsi on

bobajob, thanks for posting, I was looking for insurance impact as I just got one minor (10KM over) speeding ticket, first one ever and I am concerned about the increase. Is the increase 5-10% every year or just a one time thing that carries for several years? How many years did it take for your ticket to come off the books?

Pepsi

dude, may i ask what insurance company you're with? how is it that you had to prove your innocence, I thought they had to prove your guilt! I've seen offers for the app that monitors your driving and I can't say I am excited about yet another surveillance coming into my life, discount or not.

Pepsi

Hey admin, thanks. Yes, I know sometimes that works but not always. Believe me, I shop around for my insurance, to the point where I think I became allergic to insurance, haha

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

I would be very reluctant to allow an insurance company to monitor my driving.

I was running a fleet of minibuses for a school and was looking for a telematics option. I trialled one company who sent me a device that plugged into the OCB port in the vehicle. I took the bus for a short drive to town and came back to find that I had well over 20 alerts. The setting was incredibly sensitive and even alerted when I braked to turn into the school doing about 30 in a gradual deceleration. It was shocking.

I subsequently found a less sensitive solution for the drivers and we received only occasional hits on the categories of harsh acceleration, harsh cornering and harsh braking. The harsh acceleration and harsh cornering are almost certainly the drivers' poor actions and, the harsh braking can be if the driver has not left sufficient room to the vehicle in front, however if someone steps out in front of the vehicle then sometimes the only option is to slam on the anchors.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Pepsi

argyll, that's very interesting. my objections to participating were strictly 'gut feel' and i'm glad to see some concrete pitfalls. I didn't even bother to try to find out what algorithm they would be using, it just gives me goosebumps just to think how easy it would be to use that feature against a client. It's naive to think that it is practical to stay within speed limit (which seems to be pretty much determined by the city at a throw of a dart) all the time. I agree there are people who are a danger to others on the road but ironically police seems to be concentrating on daytime drivers who go over the limit because the conditions make it safe. I took a quick look at the number of possible infractions and I'd think insurance would have a lot of fun counting all the minute things as a red flag.

dude

Posting Awards

by: dude on

There are a few insurances that offer pretty sweet deals such as discounts part of professional associations or other things. Try TD, Desjardins, Sonnet or State Farm.

As far as the driving monitor app you can always disable your location or not grant access to your location on your phone and the app can't track you. Also any bad driving will not negatively impact your premium. You can always delete recorded trips because the app has no way of knowing who was driving. You can be on a bus while the app is running or be a passenger in someone elses car. So there is no way they can bump your rates up.

Post a Reply