A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Seiba

Summons For Hta 82 (9)

by: Seiba on

Hi so I have a bizzare situation. Today I received a summons for "being the owner of a motor vehicle bearing Vehicle Identification Number ###, failed to submit the vehicle, equipment or drawn vehicle for inspection or tests as required by an officer" for a vehicle I previously owned. Apparently a violation of HTA 82(9).

The date of offense is June 15, the summons was issued on October 26th and I received it yesterday.

I owned the vehicle up to June 29th, then sold it as is.

I was never stopped nor did I receive any notice to bring the vehicle for inspection.

The offense allegedly occurred in the City of Oshawa. I lived in Toronto until September then moved to Waterloo.

Any ideas what occurred or what I can do?

rvbfan2011

by: rvbfan2011 on

I'm only guessing here but considering you sold the vehicle I have a feeling the person you sold it to did not inform the ministry of the change in ownership. When you sell a car to someone it becomes that persons responsibility to inform the ministry of transportation that they purchased a vehicle from someone. They have 6 days to do so after they purchase the vehicle. I'm guessing the person you sold it to did not do that and the vehicle was technically still registered under your name. Provide evidence of when you sold the car and if possible to whom and it should be easier to clear up.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Walk into Service Ontario with the plate portion and advise them that the vehicle has been sold. If you have use for the plates and are not turning them in, they will list them as unattached.

DCamM

Posting Awards

by: DCamM on

Thanks.

I've always had a refund coming when I sold a vehicle so I guess I inadvertently did the right thing by claiming the refund at Service Ontario.

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
Seiba

by: Seiba on

Update: My alleged charge was not on the docket. I'm free and clear.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the sale of the vehicle, transfer of ownership, who the owner is, etc. Don't know how people got that idea from "failed to submit the vehicle... for inspection or tests as required by an officer".

The shop that issued the safety certificate when I purchased the vehicle also issued safeties on the side. They were caught. The owner and mechanic had over 50 charges combined. MTO went through the list of vehicles they recently certified and wanted them inspected. Mine was on that list.

Post a Reply