A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

UnluckyDuck

Posting Awards

Re: Got Pulled Over For Driving A Rental Car. Legal?

by: UnluckyDuck on

Maybe if it was criminal the officer would introduce what you said, but for traffic court, HIGHLY UNLIKELY. I get pulled over probably once every 2-3 months, and I always remember what happened at the incident because it's significant. It's not something that happens everyday. I can't remember what car cut me off this morning, because that happens frequently, and isn't significant. If the car cut me off, and proceeded to brake check me, causing me to rear end it, then I would remember it, because it is SIGNIFICANT. In order to not be able to recall, you'd have to be 80+, and I'm pretty sure some people that old can recall what happened too.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

jsherk wrote:I highly recommend everybody have a dashcam and record ALL interactions with police because most of the time the courts will always side with an officers testimony over an accused. If they are doing their job correctly, then they have nothing to worry about.

Kind of the same about people talking to the police. If you're doing nothing wrong then they have nothing to worry about.

If I walked up to a car and had a cell phone shoved in my face then that would set the tone for the interaction. I'd be professional as I always was but there'd be no breaks given. Bit like being met with the old I reserve my right not to talk to you, or the window cracked only 2 inches. You want to be a dick, fine but don't go whining when I do my job to the fullest amount possible. Treat me with some courtesy and you're probably going to get a please slow down and have a good day.

Plus bear in mind that if you record something that results in a charge you risk having your phone seized as evidence.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
CAROL

by: CAROL on

argyll wrote:
jsherk wrote:I highly recommend everybody have a dashcam and record ALL interactions with police because most of the time the courts will always side with an officers testimony over an accused. If they are doing their job correctly, then they have nothing to worry about.

If I walked up to a car and had a cell phone shoved in my face

That's nice, but that's not what he said. A dashcam is not a cellphone and it's not being shoved in your face. The amount of cars that will have them will continue to expand and it's not long before you see them built into cars as a standard feature.

The technology that is creating this cheap miniature audio and video recording technology will continue to explode. That means that you can be recorded at any time in a public place with or without your knowledge. The smart ones in the police are those who will just assume they are being recorded and will act professionally.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

reminder to get a dashcam,

good advice :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply