New York State Speeding Offence + Suspension Question

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

wmalik81

New York State Speeding Offence + Suspension Question

Unread post by wmalik81 »

Hello all,

Long story short, stopped in NY for speeding, officer reduced charge to 1110A (Disobey Traffic Control Device) --> called two paralegal firms said that the charge would not transfer over to Ontario due to no applicable charge in HTA --> no insurance ramifications or driving record.

Responded to ticket and plead guilty to avoid any sort of hassle and just wanted to move along.

Anyhow, ran in to some tough times, was away for a while and came back on October 12th and checked mail. Saw payment notice from New York (due date October 16th) and sent the mail Tuesday via Canada Post XPRESSPOST (2-3 day delivery time, was recommended by shipper). Says on the notice that if payment is not received by 16th... Your NY drivers license will be suspended.

My concern lies here.

A) Today (18th) and there is still no charge on my credit card from the courts. (sent via Mail with delivery time of 2-3 days, paid via Credit Card and filled out form they sent me)

B) I cannot find the damn Canada Post tracking number receipt hence I do not know if the parcel even made it.

C) I am wondering whether if the possible license suspension in New York due to unpaid fine will transfer over here (whether there is a notice sent out stating your license will be suspended in Ontario on X Day if you fail to respond).

I accept responsibility for my negligence and just want to pay the fine and move forward with it all. Wouldn't want to see license suspended either.

Thanks.

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

New York can only suspend your right to drive in New York state. It has no jurisdiction over your license status in Ontario. As long as the advice you got about it not appearing on your abstract is correct then I wouldn't worry about having a tight payment timeline unless you plan on driving in New York state in the very near future.

daggx

Posting Awards

Unread post by daggx »

It could be that they have just been slow to process your payment. Some times the court houses are only open a few days a week in some of the small towns in upstate NY, so it is possible that nobody there has checked the mail yet. If that is the case it is also likely that nobody has done the paper work to have your licence suspended yet either. If you want to be sure call the court house in the jurisdiction where you got the ticket and ask if they have received your payment.

iFly55

Posting Awards

Unread post by iFly55 »

I would put some effort into making sure that things are in order. Be weary there will be an arrest warrant in the state of NY for non-payment on the speeding ticket.

Whether other states or Jersey would also detain and extradite you is also in question. This is why America is #1 in the world for incarceration. They use private publicly traded prisons to collect debt.

wmalik81

Unread post by wmalik81 »

UPDATE

Court did receive payment, got in touch with local town office whom referred me to court clerk.

Matter is resolved and I did pay on time.

Thank you all for replies and advice,