A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Conviction Or Ticket Start Date

by: bobajob on

hi all,

quick one, which I seem to be getting different google answers

ok, so my conviction date is different from my ticket date (because I did an e. res)

so essentialy when does the clock start on my "ticket" the date of the offense or the date I was convicted.

its only a month either way, and also which date do they calculate the points come off?

If asked by insurance, about tickets (as in a few months I need to update some details) ,

If asked do I have any tickets do I give them the ticket date or conviction date?

I suppose its whats on the abstract.

Thanks all

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
ME AGAIN

by: ME AGAIN on

Date CONVICTIONS, DISCHARGES, AND OTHER ACTIONS

Y/A M D/J CONDAMNATIONS, LIBÉRATIONS ET AUTRES ACTIONS

2012/11/13 SPEEDING 75 KMH IN 60 KMH ZONE

OFFENCE DATE 2012/02/13

EXCÈS VIT 75KMH DS ZONE 60KMH

DATE DE L'INFRACTION 2012/02/13

CURRENT DEMERIT POINTS TOTAL 00

Your abstract lists both dates, date of offence and date of conviction so I presume the later date will apply for insurance.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

The day you were charged is there for the demerit points. Points start from the day you were charged (not convicted) and last 2 years. Doesn't matter if you requested a trial and it takes a year to conclude. In that case, the points wouldn't be on your abstract for that year and will only remain for the remaining year once convicted. The clock never stops on the demerit points.

The day you were convicted is the date your insurance provider would be most interested in.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

ok that makes sense.

so when people try and delay the original ticket is this more to do with the 11b process of having a speedy trial.

And nothing really to do with the points coming off or the insurance deely

cheers

Again

bend wrote:The day you were charged is there for the demerit points. Points start from the day you were charged (not convicted) and last 2 years. Doesn't matter if you requested a trial and it takes a year to conclude. In that case, the points wouldn't be on your abstract for that year and will only remain for the remaining year once convicted. The clock never stops on the demerit points.

The day you were convicted is the date your insurance provider would be most interested in.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

bobajob wrote:so when people try and delay the original ticket is this more to do with the 11b process of having a speedy trial.

I get what you're trying to say, but i'll try to clear it up for anyone who reads it the wrong way. It's your right to have a trial and be provided with the evidence against you. If that can't be provided without delays from the other side, that's out of your hands. If you are the cause of delay, you have no right to argue for a trial in a timely manner. That includes pushing your trial date for whatever reason, requesting disclosure right before a trial when you had plenty of time to do so beforehand, requesting a new trial date during your trial so you can seek out representation, etc. You can't be the source of delay and then cry foul.

bobajob wrote:And nothing really to do with the points coming off or the insurance deely

Everyone's situation is different. If I receive a ticket and already have a good amount of points, it may be in my interest to request a trial. If I have points expiring in 5 months, I can request a trial and avoid having the new points on my abstract in the meantime. Depending on my situation, it can save me from having a meeting to explain why I shouldn't be suspended, or it could save me from becoming suspended on the spot. It all depends on how many points i've accumulated up to that point, whether i'm a novice driver, etc. Insurance providers aren't necessarily interested in points, but are interested in suspensions.

Post a Reply