BlackOpsGTA

License Suspension + Insurance Questions

by: BlackOpsGTA on

***NOTE I HAVE NOT BEEN CHARGED WITH DRIVING WHILE SUSPENDED ONLY LICENSE SUSPENDED DUE TO UNPAID FINE (Just wondering if license suspension will affect my insurance. ***

If your license is suspended due to unpaid fines, does this affect your insurance?

I've done a great amount of research and it seems like just the fact of your license being suspended for ANY reason your insurance will go up a lot; that is true right?

X-Copper is saying that if you pay the outstanding fine and pay the license renewal fee your insurance shouldn't go up because you are not convicted of driving while having a suspended license. And what X-Copper is saying is a much more serious charge that is not applicable. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's hard to get a straight answer, online, from MTO, or lawyers.

-----------------------------------------

I did some more researching and found out this from Wheels.ca

Demerit points are only associated with a conviction. MTO does not send a notice of suspension to insurance companies. Insurance companies do have access to a driver's driving record through the Authorized Requester Program. An active unpaid fine suspension will appear on an abstract, but once the fine has been paid it comes off.

In this case, the driver must contact the court where he/she was convicted to find out the amount of the outstanding fines. Upon receipt of an order to reinstate, MTO will send a notice of reinstatement and a replacement licence in the mail to the driver.

"Wheels.ca / http://www.wheels.ca/news/when-a-forgot ... uspension/"

So from what I understand from the above if that is correct once the fine is paid and license has been reinstated it comes off the record. But still wouldn't it show that the license had been suspended before at renewal time? It doesn't really specify if the whole incident comes off the record or just the outstanding fine.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

A number of posters have reported that they're insurance rates have gone up simply with a suspension history on their record (and no actual conviction for driving under suspension). The FSCO, who oversee auto insurance in Ontario, don't allow certain types of suspension to count against you (medical comes to mind) but are unclear on others. They do prohibit 90 day ADLS suspensions from increasing your rates for instance, since there's no actual Court conviction. But other people have experienced rate increases for 7 day stunt driving suspensions, even if they're later acquitted of the charge.

In short, I believe a licence suspension for unpaid fines COULD increase your rates.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

"So from what I understand from the above if that is correct once the fine is paid and license has been reinstated it comes off the record. But still wouldn't it show that the license had been suspended before at renewal time? It doesn't really specify if the whole incident comes off the record or just the outstanding fine."

I run DL histories all the time and the suspensions stay and have a start date listed, what it was suspended for and the expiry date for the suspension.

BlackOpsGTA

by: BlackOpsGTA on

What's a ADLS suspension?

The charge was a 10km over speeding ticket that was reduced but doesn't say the reduced speed.

I wanted to fight it in trial (it's a 50km zone but 40km when there is school time and there is one small sign saying it's 40km instead of 50km) but never got a trial notice in the mail.

Decatur wrote:I run DL histories all the time and the suspensions stay and have a start date listed, what it was suspended for and the expiry date for the suspension.

How long do the suspensions stay on the official provincial driving record?

Post a Reply