A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

wats8790

Questions About Suspended License

by: wats8790 on

Hello,

I received a notice for a suspended license today. It is due to an unpaid ticket escalation. I received a ticket for not having my license renewed quick enough (outstanding emissions test). I took care of the emissions test and the license renewal immediately, but I promptly lost my ticket and forgot about it completely. Life gets in the way I guess. Obviously this was a very stupid thing to do. I do not believe I received a letter preparing me for the suspension. However, I do know that a drivers license is a privilege and I should have been more organized (on both cases). I will go to the MTO to pay the fine and the reinstatement fee tomorrow. I do have a few questions.

1) How long does it take to get reinstated? Does it get reinstated the moment I pay and then I simply receive my license in the mail later?

2) Insurance premium effect. I have no other transgression on my record, no moving vehicle infractions. Approximately what percentage increase will I see? Are specific companies more lenient on suspensions for late payments. Alternatively, is there a way to remove this from my driving record that my insurer would see?P Perhaps pleading guilty, or somehow reducing it, or paying a different type of fine?

3) Job implications. I currently insure my own car, but within the year I may move into a role than provides a vehicle and requires driving. The company would normally pay this insurance. Is there a way to mitigate the potential problems caused? My company uses a 3rd party to organize their vehicles so it may be a non-issue but I would still like to hear an advice or opinions?

I appreciate all help. It is frustrating to have this problem as it is a crime of absent-mindedness rather than maliciousness.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

You need to go to the court or municipal office to pay the fine, after paid, take that receipt to MTO for reinstatement of your licence.. Btw there is a reinstatement fee

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
trenchknife

by: trenchknife on

It is not immediate either. It can take a few days to show in the system that your licence is no longer suspended. So do not expect to pay the ticket at 12:00 and be good to drive at 12:01.

Do not take anything I say as legal advice. Only a lawyer can give legal advice. I am not a lawyer.
Post a Reply