Will Video Of Accident Help With Hov Usuage In Court?

HTA section 154.1(3) - Improper use of high occupancy vehicle lane. Highway Traffic Act.
ilOntario

Will Video Of Accident Help With Hov Usuage In Court?

Unread post by ilOntario »

I received a ticket last November for using the HOV(404/401East ramp)lane so i could get out of traffic because of a horrific accident, i was wondering if my video

of the traffic and people trying to escape it will help me. My court date is November 1st i believe.

Thank You.

tdottopcop

Unread post by tdottopcop »

So, just to be clear, you think a video of you showing you breaking the law will help you in court...

No, I am not the chief of Toronto Police.
No, I do not work for Toronto Police...
... it is just a name folks :)
AlienPrime

Unread post by AlienPrime »

tdottopcop wrote:So, just to be clear, you think a video of you showing you breaking the law will help you in court...

a video reasoning his actions

"In fact, the more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
- Mark Twain
Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

If this offence is one of absolute liability then all that the prosecution needs to do is establish that you did it. Motives are reasons are irrelevant. For an absolute liability offence, a video of you doing it (regardless of the reasons) would not help.

If this offence is one of strict liability, then the prosecution needs to establish that you did it, but it is open to you to establish a defence based on due diligence. If a video helps you establish due diligence, then it might be useful.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.