Accompanying A G1 Driver

Wydis

Accompanying A G1 Driver

Unread post by Wydis »

I have had my G for almost two years, and had my G1 since May 2009 (Prior to this I have had 4yrs experience in a country without reciprocal agreement-but i did receive driving credit).

1. Highway Act Interpretation - based on my interpretation of the act, the G1 driver needs to be accompanied by a full G license driver with 4yrs exp. Now its not clear to me if this 4yrs is after obtaining the G license or general driving experience since obtaining my G1. Would someone please clarify this?

2. Dots on the license - I have four dots on my license, located to the left of the hologram, aligned vertically. I was told by someone that the dots represents years of exp and if I have four dots - i can be the accompanying driver. The problem is I am yet to find any official verification of this, I could find multiple forums on the internet that also thought the dots meant suitable to accompany. Could some one verify this with a link to a provincial act or documentation? Would i receive dots if I didnt have the right experience?

I phoned Service Ontario regarding my question, the guy who answered initially was not sure put me on hold for 20 mins then told me i needed 4yrs experience with G license - but he wasnt too convincing.

So I drove to the nearest Service Ontario offices, the lady at the counter didnt seem to know much either - she said "sure if you have a G license you can accompany anyone", she didnt even look at my experience, when i asked her about the dots and to verify my years of experience - she said she doesnt handle that, and gave me a number to dial.

After phoning the number the guy who answered told me it should be four STARS and NOT four DOTS? He said the dots would be converted to stars once i get the experience?? Now i dont know if this is bs or not?

I just wish there was some kind of website that would explain the different features on my license.

I would really appreciate any help/clarification.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

Drivers Handbook:

"The accompanying driver must have a valid Class G (or higher) licence, at least four years of driving experience, and must have a blood alcohol level of less than .05 per cent when accompanying you. Time spent at the Class G2 level, as long as the G2 licence was valid (not suspended), does count toward the accompanying driver's four years of experience. The accompanying driver's licence may have demerit points, but it cannot be suspended."

G1 does not count as experience. G2 does. At least that's how I interpret it from the drivers handbook.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

More clarification using the dots:

1) You must always have an accompanying driver in the front

passenger seat. They must:

• be fully licensed and have at least 4 years of driving

experience*

*Proof of 4 years driving experience is indicated on an Ontario

drivers licence by 4 dots on the front of the card.

source: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/faq/Document ... nglish.pdf