A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

ValMich

Not At-fault, Not Using Insurance - Need Multiple Quotes?

by: ValMich on

My vehicle was struck in the parking lot at my work. The culprit was determined thanks to surveillance cameras, and she says she doesn't want to go through insurance, but wants to pay out of pocket. I received an estimate from a local body shop where I have had work done in the past, and have a good rapport with. The estimate is just under $1,300. I provided her with this estimate and now she is telling me I have to provide her with two more quotes, and she will choose.

Do I legally need to give her three options? As I am the vehicle owner, is it not my choice who repairs my car?

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I would imagine that all the online literature would tell you to file a report and go through your insurance company. If you choose not to do that then you are operating in a grey zone where there are no hard and fast rules. Since she is the one who wants to handle it without the insurance company, and since it sounds like the accident was her fault, she is in no position to be demanding anything. You would be within your rights to tell her that she can accept the estimate you have provided, or you will go through your insurance company and let them handle the situation.

CliffClaven

by: CliffClaven on

You might find this document to be a useful reference: http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/docu ... -rules.pdf

It outlines how insurance companies attribute fault in the case of a collision. I believe it applies to both public highways and private property (parking lots).

It was my understanding that the Ontario HTA does not apply to private property such as parking lots.

Post a Reply