A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

Well I think the Police guy was just doing his job in this case.

But All those obstacles were put there by normal people and even some Police cars were parking in the bike lane. So maybe the ticket is kinda bogus? The bike lane should be kept clear at all times and that should be enforced more.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

or who knows where this guy was originally riding, just going around an object or just driving amongst the cars for the hell of it

anyway, got asked a question few min ago by text, i sent an answer back, but don't know for sure, i dont deal with these bicycle lanes

- NB car lane and beside it is a bicycle lane

- bicycle lane is designated by posted signs and bicycle sign on the lane itself

- a NB car stops to turn left, a car behind passes to the right, but uses the bicycle lane to do so

is there an offence?

my reply was no offence b/c I could not find the bicycle lane designation sign in the OREG for signs, however there could be a town by-law, so a by-law offence

anyone else's thoughts or is there an OREG I havent found?

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

hwybear wrote:or who knows where this guy was originally riding, just going around an object or just driving amongst the cars for the hell of it

anyway, got asked a question few min ago by text, i sent an answer back, but don't know for sure, i dont deal with these bicycle lanes

- NB car lane and beside it is a bicycle lane

- bicycle lane is designated by posted signs and bicycle sign on the lane itself

- a NB car stops to turn left, a car behind passes to the right, but uses the bicycle lane to do so

is there an offence?

my reply was no offence b/c I could not find the bicycle lane designation sign in the OREG for signs, however there could be a town by-law, so a by-law offence

anyone else's thoughts or is there an OREG I havent found?

In Toronto the bike lane changes to a dotted line for cars to turn/use it.(at intersection)

The bicycle is supposed to stop but they rarely do.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

viper1 wrote:

In Toronto the bike lane changes to a dotted line for cars to turn/use it.(at intersection)

Cheers

Viper1

interesting why a bicycle would have to stop for a car that is actually coming into their lane, would have thought cars would have to change lane in safety and yield for the bicycle

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

hwybear wrote:
viper1 wrote:

Cheers

Viper1

interesting why a bicycle would have to stop for a car that is actually coming into their lane, would have thought cars would have to change lane in safety and yield for the bicycle

What happens is the car is signaling to turn and a bike will come from far back and try to get around the car.

If the car is not close to the curb the bike will try to pass on the right side.

If there is a bike there then the car has to wait.

If you don't move over close the bike will ride up to the front and stop you from turning.

Luckily other then Harbor street few bike lanes are used in Toronto.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Squishy

by: Squishy on

Also think this would be a bylaw thing, not HTA. In Toronto this would be an offence:

A. Subject to § 886-11, no person shall operate a vehicle other than a bicycle in any

bicycle lane except for the purpose of:

(1) Ingress to or egress from a private lane or driveway adjacent to the bicycle

lane;

(2) Making a turn at a highway intersecting the bicycle lane;

(3) Entering or exiting a curb lane used for parking;

(4) Loading or unloading of a person with a disability, while actively engaged in

doing so;

(5) Operating a school bus while actively engaged in picking up or dropping off

school children; or

(6) Operating a taxicab while actively engaged in loading or unloading of

passengers.

B. Despite § 886-10A, no person operating a vehicle in a bicycle lane for the purposes

set out in § 886-10A shall operate a vehicle in the lane for a distance exceeding 45

metres. [Amended 2007-06-22 by By-law No. 665-2007]

C. Subject to § 886-10A(4), (5) and (6), no person shall stop a vehicle other than a

bicycle in a bicycle lane.

Nothing in there about passing a left-turning vehicle. Anyone responding to an emergency is exempt.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Pretty sure Squishy is right, it is a by-law thing. Or if the car cut off the cyclist, could be Careless Driving or Failure to Drive in a Marked Lane.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply