tom1331

Posting Awards

Pull Over To Throw Up, Got Ticket For Parking In Fire Route

by: tom1331 on

Hi,

I'm curious about a "Parking ticket" I got today and was wondering if anybody could help me out.

I was driving on Yonge Street today in Toronto during rush hour.

My Fiancee and I were in the car together and I am on stomach medication that my doctor had prescribed for me this morning.

Long story short, as I was driving, I noticed I started feeling nausea and needed to throw up.

Yonge street is a VERY busy street especially during rush hour and I figured if I puked while driving, it could result in a serious accident because for those few moments, I would not have complete control of the car.

I glanced over and saw an entrance between 2 condos and quickly pulled in there, put my 4-ways on and my fiancee and I were gonna switch spots so she could drive. As I got out of the car, I couldn't hold it in anymore and hopped into the back seat and threw up in a bag, we were there for not even 5 minutes. My fiancee was worried and turned her body towards the back seat to see if I was ok.

All of a sudden we hear a "thud" from our windshield. It turns out the parking officer gave us a ticket for "Parking in a Fire Route". The ticket amount is $250. My Fiancee jumped out of the car and started talking to the parking officer and mentioned that we were actually in the car and he could have asked us to move.

His response was "Oh I didn't see you".

She asked him to cancel it and he said "No I can't cancel it, why do you care anyways, it's not your problem it's the driver's"

Also, there were no signs to show it was a fire route until you drive all the way to the end of the drive way.

Here is what we did for evidence:

My fiancee actually grabbed her digital camera to take a picture of the parking officer in his car from the inside of our car to show that we were present when he came to our car. The picture is time stamped and dated.

I am going to keep my prescription bottle that shows today's date that I got the medication to prove that I had a stomach issue and I had an emergency and needed to pull over

We also took a pic of the car where we were pulled over to show there wasn't any signs until the very end of the street (Approx.50 feet away and facing the other direction)

Any chance we can win this case when we take it to court?

Thanks for your time and suggestions,

Tom

viper1

by: viper1 on

you will beat this on your own easy.

Pick option 3

Go to the markem road office around 8:30 a.m.

(pay the meter thing $1.00 display it as they have a full-time ticket writer there)

Go in to your left and enter (parking)

Now you need to fill out a short form.

Present that. At this point they can reject the ticket.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

tom1331 wrote: put my 4-ways on and my fiancee and I were gonna switch spots so she could drive. As I got out of the car, I couldn't hold it in anymore and hopped into the back seat

My fiancee was worried and turned her body towards the back seat to see if I was ok. Here is what we did for evidence:

My fiancee actually grabbed her digital camera to take a picture of the parking officer in his car from the inside of our car to show that we were present when he came to our car. The picture is time stamped and dated.

- pulling over as sick and to change drivers *good thing*

- you stop and get out, but fiancee doesn't get out as original intention, she doesn't watch where your going when you exit....BUT instead decides to start taking pictures out the window of a bylaw officer, just in case he comes over? - that doesn't pass the smell test

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
tom1331

Posting Awards

by: tom1331 on

- you stop and get out, but fiancee doesn't get out as original intention, she doesn't watch where your going when you exit....BUT instead decides to start taking pictures out the window of a bylaw officer, just in case he comes over? - that doesn't pass the smell test

The picture was taken after he came to our car and my fiancee went outside to talk to him. At which point he refused to listen and went back to his car. I want to use the picture as proof that we were present when the officer was here. I know that even if the car is stopped at a fire route it's still considered parked but this was an emergency and honestly, I would have driven further into the complex if I knew that was a fire route, but my main concern was to stop the car and not cause an accident.

you will beat this on your own easy.

Pick option 3

Go to the markem road office around 8:30 a.m.

(pay the meter thing $1.00 display it as they have a full-time ticket writer there)

Go in to your left and enter (parking)

Now you need to fill out a short form.

Present that. At this point they can reject the ticket.

Cheers

Viper1

So I should explain my situation to the clerk at the desk and she can reject the ticket? or do I still have to wait for a court date?

I'm really upset with this ticket because the officer did not care about anything other than slapping that yellow ticket on the windshield. It was almost as if he was hearing impaired. I understand it's his job but he is also human and should have some sort of emotions.

I would understand if the car was completely parked and nobody was in the car, fine i deserve the ticket but the fact that there were 2 licensed drivers present in the car and in my opinion looking after a person's well being is slightly more important than moving up the car a few inches.

beleafer81

by: beleafer81 on

I learned something a few years back about parking ticket agents. Think about it, what kind of person takes a job like that? What kind of personality would a person like that have to put up with that job day in and day out? These people have a job where they have to ruin peoples days many times over, every single shift. A few times a day they get caught in the act and they get confronted. If they were compasionate nice persons, would they even have wrote 1/2 the tickets they do? Obviosly not. They would be out of a job and would be replaced with someone who would. Baisicly Im saying to have that job you have to be a douchebag. Even if you are a nice guy you better act like a douchebag while on the company clock, or your not really doing your job. You cant expect them to be mr nice guy or they wouldn't be in that position in the first place.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove - Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day
viper1

by: viper1 on

• So I should explain my situation to the clerk at the desk and she can reject the ticket? or do I still have to wait for a court date?

I'm really upset with this ticket because the officer did not care about anything other than slapping that yellow ticket on the windshield. It was almost as if he was hearing impaired. I understand it's his job but he is also human and should have some sort of emotions.

I would understand if the car was completely parked and nobody was in the car, fine i deserve the ticket but the fact that there were 2 licensed drivers present in the car and in my opinion looking after a person's well being is slightly more important than moving up the car a few inches.

Yes it will likely be canceled. You were not parked you were stopped.

If they won't, just fill in the trial slip and at trial judge will dismiss it.

I say to go early because I am usually in and out of there in 5 minutes.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

tom1331 wrote:

The picture was taken after he came to our car and my fiancee went outside to talk to him. At which point he refused to listen and went back to his car. I want to use the picture as proof that we were present when the officer was here.

the original post was confusing, but now that makes complete sense

thanks for clarification

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply