A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

auditor

Disable Parking Ticket

by: auditor on

A Parking Enforcement officer in Toornto took possession of my son's Accessible Parking Permit. My son was not with me when I parked the car at a regular parking spot on the street. He goes to a specialized school about three blocks away from where I parked . The officer said i will receive a summons to attend court within four to six weeks.

Any suggestions in how I should handle the matter in court?

Is the cancellation of the permit automatic if I plead quilty?

What is the usually fine for a first time offender? I know the range is $300 to $5,000.

Thanks in advance!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The officer can either retain the permit until the completion of court proceedings or return it to the MTO (that's what I always did, that way you're not responsible for it). If it has been returned to the MTO it has been canceled. If it is held until the completion of the court proceedings a determination would be made after that. Cancellation is not automatic. In all likelihood it would just be returned to you, although you may have a problem getting it renewed if you are convicted or plea.

However, if I understand you correctly, you parked in a regular (non-handicap) parking spot but you still had the permit visible and they confiscated it? I don't think that's an offence, since the permit was not being used improperly. I'd be interested to see what subsection they try to charge you under, since no of the subsections of Section 27 clearly covers your case. The only one that is close is 27 (1) (b) "display an accessible parking permit otherwise than in accordance with the regulations;" However when you read Regulation 581 it doesn't say anywhere in there that you can't have it in the vehicle (but not being used) if the person to whom it is issued is not present, which I think is what they are alleging.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply