cruzmisl

Insurance Valid When Buying A Used Car?

by: cruzmisl on

Hi,

I have a question regarding insurance coverage. Lets say an individual buys a used car from a private seller on a weekend. The new owner puts the plates from his old car which are valid (perfectly legal for 6 days) but doesn't call the insurance company because they are closed. Is the newly purchased car insured since the old car was properly insured?

Biron

Posting Awards

by: Biron on

Automobile insurance is provided to a specific vehicle and driver(s). Plates are not insured, at least not under this type of insurance.

You can register/attach old plates to a newly bought vehicle, even if you still own the old vehicle, however, the old vehicle's ownership (registration/permit) should indicate that the vehicle is unplated and the plates registered as unattached.

If you do what you suggest, you could be liable to be charged with more than just one offence.

Cheers.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Biron wrote:You can register/attach old plates to a newly bought vehicle, even if you still own the old vehicle, however, the old vehicle's ownership (registration/permit) should indicate that the vehicle is unplated and the plates registered as unattached.

Seriously? You just advised him to commit the offence of driving with plates not authorized for his vehicle. That's a no set fine offence and it's arrestable.

The HTA has no provision for allowing you to attach "unattached" plates to a new vehicle. The only thing you can do is attach the plates from an old vehicle, of a similar type (that you no longer own), to a new vehicle for 6 days following the purchase.

You should be careful about giving incorrect advice on this forum.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

I think to answer cruzmisl's original question... I believe that if you have insurance on your old vehicle, it's valid on a new purchase for 14 days. But check with an insurance company first...

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
cruzmisl

by: cruzmisl on

Radar Identified wrote:I think to answer cruzmisl's original question... I believe that if you have insurance on your old vehicle, it's valid on a new purchase for 14 days. But check with an insurance company first...

Thanks!

Post a Reply