Improper left turn - Fight the traffic ticket
jimaa66

Improper Left Turn- Sign Heights And Sign Locations

by: jimaa66 on

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one...

I made an illegal left hand turn on a small side street in Toronto between 3:30 and 6:30 one day at 4 oclock. I had no idea this was an illegal turn when the officer told me, as he claimed there was a sign posted. I actually got out and went back to look for the sign.

There was in fact a sign there, but it's the positioning of the sign that is bothering me. The city installed the sign on a pole that has no parking signs on it already. They installed it on the top of the pole. Now, two houses before the sign there is a tree on someones front lawn, making seeing the sign difficult as you approach.

My question is- is there a law in the act stating how signs should be posted? With their heights, etc?

I drove by this sign for 4 months- and never saw it until the officer pointed it out. I am usually at the corner at 3pm each day, so this was the first time I had been there at that time of day.

Any help would be great, as I am going to court this week to challenge this, and can't seem to find the information I need.

Traffic Law

by: Traffic Law on

All signs errected must be visible. I you believe that the view of this particular sign was obstructed or not visible to the approaching drivers you may have a good chance at trial.

Ontario Regulation 615 made under the Highway Traffic Act set out particulars you looking for.

Post a Reply