Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm 

See that more and more of that in society, parents not being parents. People not owning up to errors, refuse to accept the consequences of their actions, trying every little nook and cranny to get out of it whatever they have done wrong. People blatantly lie and deny that "their little angel" could have done that!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:27 pm 

I hear ya bear, but i will not point a finger and tarnish my halo............ :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:31 am 

quick story: complaint of ATV's in a small town. I arrive in an unmarked cruiser, locate ATV doing donuts in a parking lot, so I just park there and observe for 10 min, then it heads towards me :shock: Goes past the front of my car and parks by a garage on the other side of the road. I drive up and pin the ATV to the building (enough so the driver can not reverse and get away) 14yr old gets off.. Tell him of the complaint and trespassing....."it wasn't me" huh? Parent comes out, I ask the teen to tell the parent what happened....it wasn't me :shock: Parent....so whats the problem :shock:
I tell the parent what I saw they roll their eyes look at their child, you know you shouldn't be there, No stay off the bike the rest of the day :shock:

Absolutely no care in the world for their "angel" child

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:10 am 

This legislation is nothing more than a feel good reaction by our government who can then turn around and say “Look at what we did; we listened to the voters and taxpayers”. I live in a mid-size city in Northern Ontario and the population is spread out over an area bigger than Toronto, York, Durham, Scarborough, Ajax, Pickering, Oshawa, Oakville, Newmarket, Vaughn and Richmond Hill combined. Our public transit system is not very efficient and buses stop running at 12:15 am. Interestingly, the proponents of this law all seems to live in Southern Ontario where there any multiple alternative modes of transportation should a young driver be caught speeding.

I work as a Paramedic, thus spending many hours driving around town. I can tell you that drivers in their 30s, 40s, and 50s are quite problematic. They often do not wear their seatbelts, are uncooperative, lie about the event, which is obvious as their injuries are inconsistent with their stories. They are also, according to the latest statistics that I read, the biggest age group guilty of drinking and driving. Younger drivers seem, in my experience, to be courteous and truthful. They are fully aware of the consequences as it is a topic that is frequently mentioned on the ride to the hospital. Surely this means that our current laws have effect.

I am in my 20s, married, own a home, and pay my taxes. Yet according to our politicians, I am barely an “irresponsible” citizen that needs to be constrained by laws that are arbitrary and unenforceable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

Quote:
I work as a Paramedic, thus spending many hours driving around town. I can tell you that drivers in their 30s, 40s, and 50s are quite problematic. They often do not wear their seatbelts, are uncooperative, lie about the event, which is obvious as their injuries are inconsistent with their stories. They are also, according to the latest statistics that I read, the biggest age group guilty of drinking and driving.

You're right. They are the biggest age group guilty of drinking and driving (30s/40s/50s). In just about every province and US state.

The government doesn't need to be a parent; parents need to be parents. Parents need to give their children the tools and resources to be successful in life, not to be happy & spoiled 100% of the time. Often that involves taking away their "toys" if they're irresponsible or reckless, showing them the consequences for inappropriate behaviour. When did parenting become all about spoiling your kid and not PARENTING?! I agree with Bear 100%. "NOT MY CHILD!" I get the same thing at work from time to time too, albeit under different circumstances than Bear would run into.

The mentality in Ontario lately has been to try to legislate everything. It won't work. It won't make us any safer. Maybe if we adopted the same sort of driver education that they have in Germany we'd... ah, forget it, McGuinty would never go for it because it wouldn't involve banning something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:01 pm 

The more laws we have, the more charges are filed, the more the court system gets plugged up, the more chance of people getting off due to delay.

Most tickets are in the $100 to 200 range. By the time the person pays the ticket, if they fight it in court, the provinces loses $200 to $500 trying to collect a $100-$200 fine.

Think about the wages were paying cops, clerks, crowns, justices, court reporters, cop security in court, appeal judges, paper, ink, envelopes, postage, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 pm 

lawmen wrote:
Think about the wages were paying cops, clerks, crowns, justices, court reporters, cop security in court, appeal judges, paper, ink, envelopes, postage, etc.

Not to mention lawyers fees :D

WHY?? as our new "ditchMD" puts it that drivers....
Quote:
lie about the event

Last edited by hwybear on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:08 pm 
VIP

Was it Cicero who said "The more laws, the less justice"? We need to get rid of the clutter of old laws, not make new ones every time there is an accident.....

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:55 pm 

Can the public make a law against bad laws.....It sounds backwards but it might just work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:24 am 

racer wrote:
Was it Cicero who said "The more laws, the less justice"? We need to get rid of the clutter of old laws, not make new ones every time there is an accident.....

Maybe not get rid of old ones......just go back and rewrite them properly!! So there is no confusion what so ever......hey...this could be a topic for the legal area....we offer suggestions, starting at section 1 (putting all definitions in the front, not filtered throughout), lawmen writes it up, we then have a new HTA and present it to parliament to "out with the old, in with the new"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 pm 

Do we have terabytes worth of space for this??????? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:02 pm 
VIP

Reflections wrote:
Do we have terabytes worth of space for this??????? :?:

We'd better, our hosting gives us unlimited storage space
:lol:

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 pm 

Can you please, please, please get rid of the sticky's in the general section. They're annoying. Put the how to post in the first thread on the index page. Let all other threads float. The last posted in thread should be at th top of the section.

Also, when a new post is added to a section the section is lit up on the main index page, but once you come into the section the threads that were posted are no lit up on the left hand sie. You have to look for the dates and time on the right hand side to see which posts are new.

Is there anyway you can light up the thread that was posted in?

Rewriting the HTA is a great idea, but also time consuming. A winter project, maybe!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm 

The highlighted sub-folders work properly for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:47 am 

Bookm wrote:
The highlighted sub-folders work properly for me.

Seem to work OK here too -- Firefox 3.0.4 on Windows XP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next