Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Is this fair?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm 

The other day I was late for work. I came up to a stop light where a police car was waiting for the light to change. I cut through a parking lot to make the right turn so I didn't have to wait behind the police car. The cop pulled me over and began yelling at me for cutting through the parking lot. I gave him all my documents and he came back with a ticket for having a photocopy of my insurance slip and not the pink one. Can he do this? It's not what he pulled me over for.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:18 pm 

does not matter why a vehicle is pulled over and any subsequent offence does not have to be related to the reason for the stop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 am 

I am interested in finding out about the fine for this and what section of the HTA this would fall under because I carry photocopies for my trucks atv, and snowmobiles and keep the originals in a safe place at home.

I have been stoped before and produced a photocopy and was never told that it was a violation...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:16 am 

We are asked for License, Ownership, and Proof of Insurance. I know one or more of these can be photocopies. Which ones MUST be originals?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 am 

Photocopy of proof of insurance is acceptable, photocopy of ownership is acceptable though it must be copied both sides!

Drivers license MUST be original!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:36 am 

not HTA. Insurance is under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act. Fine was probably $65.
Operator to carry insurance card
3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,
(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or
(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,
and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer

Definition:
“insurance card” means,
(a) a Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card in the form approved by the Superintendent,
(b) a policy of automobile insurance or a certificate of a policy in the form approved by the Superintendent, or
(c) a document in a form approved by the Superintendent
Nothing in the CAIA says a photocopy is sufficient, unlike the HTA where it allows the "permit" to be photocopied (remember front and back must be done)

My insurance sends me 6 pink slips for each vehicle. I have never understood why the originals are not in personal vehicles. Have I ever laid a charge for a photocopied insurance card = no. Photocopied permit= yes as both sides were not copied, hence the corresponding validation was missing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:26 am 

Thanks Bear for pointing that out, I was told by a Constable @ 55 division from TPS that the only original I needed was my licence!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 am 

Thanks for the info! I guess I gotta dig out my insurance slips....lol You would probably have to make a cop pretty mad to make him give you that ticket.