A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

napaman

Is This Fair?

by: napaman on

The other day I was late for work. I came up to a stop light where a police car was waiting for the light to change. I cut through a parking lot to make the right turn so I didn't have to wait behind the police car. The cop pulled me over and began yelling at me for cutting through the parking lot. I gave him all my documents and he came back with a ticket for having a photocopy of my insurance slip and not the pink one. Can he do this? It's not what he pulled me over for.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

does not matter why a vehicle is pulled over and any subsequent offence does not have to be related to the reason for the stop.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
bush_aholic

by: bush_aholic on

I am interested in finding out about the fine for this and what section of the HTA this would fall under because I carry photocopies for my trucks atv, and snowmobiles and keep the originals in a safe place at home.

I have been stoped before and produced a photocopy and was never told that it was a violation...

!!!LUV 4 BIG TRUCKS!!!
Bookm

by: Bookm on

We are asked for License, Ownership, and Proof of Insurance. I know one or more of these can be photocopies. Which ones MUST be originals?

BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

Photocopy of proof of insurance is acceptable, photocopy of ownership is acceptable though it must be copied both sides!

Drivers license MUST be original!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

not HTA. Insurance is under the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act. Fine was probably $65.

Operator to carry insurance card

3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,

(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or

(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,

and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer

Definition:

"insurance card" means,

(a) a Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card in the form approved by the Superintendent,

(b) a policy of automobile insurance or a certificate of a policy in the form approved by the Superintendent, or

(c) a document in a form approved by the Superintendent

Nothing in the CAIA says a photocopy is sufficient, unlike the HTA where it allows the "permit" to be photocopied (remember front and back must be done)

My insurance sends me 6 pink slips for each vehicle. I have never understood why the originals are not in personal vehicles. Have I ever laid a charge for a photocopied insurance card = no. Photocopied permit= yes as both sides were not copied, hence the corresponding validation was missing.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

Thanks Bear for pointing that out, I was told by a Constable @ 55 division from TPS that the only original I needed was my licence!

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
bush_aholic

by: bush_aholic on

Thanks for the info! I guess I gotta dig out my insurance slips....lol You would probably have to make a cop pretty mad to make him give you that ticket.

!!!LUV 4 BIG TRUCKS!!!
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”