A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

mnstrcck wrote:Stanton,

If the Crown chooses not to use the video evidence during trial, wouldn't that be arguably an example of prejudice and be quashed under s. 7 of the Charter?

I don't believe so. The Crown has the prerogative to select which evidence is presented at trial. If they feel a particular piece of evidence or a witness does nothing to further their case, they don't need to present it. There may also be times where video evidence is deemed inadmissible at trial and can't be presented.

That being said if there is video, the Crown would have to make defence aware of it through disclosure. If the defence feels the video strengthens their case, there is nothing stopping them from presenting it.

The only issue I could see would be if the Crown fails to disclose the existence of video to the defence.

mnstrcck

by: mnstrcck on

Stanton wrote:The only issue I could see would be if the Crown fails to disclose the existence of video to the defence.

To clarify, you're saying that it would be an issue if Crown fails to disclose the existence of video evidence, even if it chooses not to use it? Or if Crown chooses to use video evidence it has not disclosed?

Thanks for answering.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”